for everyones entertainment
I present you with today's failures

I should of know that today wasn't going to be worth a damn when I had to dump this in the muller to keep it from freezing in the crucible.
[Image: first-hint.jpg]

anyway after above fiasco of running out of propane due to oil line on burner not wanting to cooperate and me getting some more propane I continued with the day of casting fun, oh yea the PID in the burner control box with the thermal couple laying in the grass said it was a balmy 119 degrees.

I fired up and started for the second time today, I achived pouring temp and in the hast I forgot to turn on the video camera so sorry no video.
But I was really happy with the way the mold filled. Even after I shook it out of the flask heres a shot of the gating the part broke off in my rolling it around cleaning sand off of it.

[Image: third-iron-pour0001.jpg]

see that little place there were the parts suppose to be at that should of been all the hint that I needed that this wasn't going as good as it looked

and heres the part that I was after a replacement for the swiss cheese one I did on Saturaday.
[Image: third-iron-pour0003.jpg]

a different shot of the part
[Image: third-iron-pour0002.jpg]

I should of know that it felt a little light but and after cutting into it here is what I get for all my troubles. All I can do is laugh and get ready to do it again, the core did what it was suppose to it left a hole in the part.
[Image: third-iron-pour0004.jpg]

damn good thing I didn't have to pay for this or I would be really PO'd

David Allen
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
That is a nasty one. Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by:
man Monday's suck!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
that first picture I'm thinking about putting it on ebay and see if I can pay for my propane by selling at as some new world modern foundry art.

Thanks given by:
Think I'd bury it get somebody with a metal detector to find it in a year or two and claim it to be a meteor! Although some of that crap they call art is much uglier!!!! make a good anchor for a boat or a dead body.....
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
(08-26-2013, 04:33 PM)dallen Wrote: I present you with today's failures

I should of know that today wasn't going to be worth a damn when I had to dump this in the muller to keep it from freezing in the crucible.
[Image: first-hint.jpg]

anyway after above fiasco of running out of propane due to oil line on burner not wanting to cooperate and me getting some more propane I continued with the day of casting fun, oh yea the PID in the burner control box with the thermal couple laying in the grass said it was a balmy 119 degrees.

I fired up and started for the second time today, I achived pouring temp and in the hast I forgot to turn on the video camera so sorry no video.
But I was really happy with the way the mold filled. Even after I shook it out of the flask heres a shot of the gating the part broke off in my rolling it around cleaning sand off of it.

[Image: third-iron-pour0001.jpg]

see that little place there were the parts suppose to be at that should of been all the hint that I needed that this wasn't going as good as it looked

and heres the part that I was after a replacement for the swiss cheese one I did on Saturaday.
[Image: third-iron-pour0003.jpg]

a different shot of the part
[Image: third-iron-pour0002.jpg]

I should of know that it felt a little light but and after cutting into it here is what I get for all my troubles. All I can do is laugh and get ready to do it again, the core did what it was suppose to it left a hole in the part.
[Image: third-iron-pour0004.jpg]

damn good thing I didn't have to pay for this or I would be really PO'd

David Allen
Deary me Dallen fancy running out of propane in the middle of a melt!![nightmare] I don't have that bother myself[he he] 'cos I've never ''progressed'' to propane I still use coke & usually have a couple of tons in the bunkers for the rayburn.
Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
Graham, the only rayburn I ever had came from the sun. and cokes a bit hard to get in Oklahoma unless you want to buy a rail car load.

Thanks given by:
(09-15-2013, 03:12 PM)dallen Wrote: Graham, the only rayburn I ever had came from the sun. and cokes a bit hard to get in Oklahoma unless you want to buy a rail car load.

Ha ha, I take it that it's sunny & warm in oklahoma then?? [I never was much good at geography] you lucky devil,try living on the north east coast over here,[doubleboost lives here too] it's baltic in winter, north easterners blowing off the sea!!
Regards Graham
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
Graham I spent 4 years in the middle of Alaska, the coldest temp that I remember was about 90 below zero. but you know what I'd take that over the summer heat here anytime, only one problem. the Ex lives up there. I learned that when it gets cold you put on more cloths, it gets hot I can't take enough off to stay cool.

I'm sure that melting metal with coke would be fun, I just don't have any to find out with. although I would like to build a cupola only problem is that they take more then one person to fire up, and you need to be ready to melt a bucket full of iron when you do or its a waste of time and fuel.

DA

Thanks given by:
(09-16-2013, 08:10 PM)dallen Wrote: Graham I spent 4 years in the middle of Alaska, the coldest temp that I remember was about 90 below zero. but you know what I'd take that over the summer heat here anytime, only one problem. the Ex lives up there. I learned that when it gets cold you put on more cloths, it gets hot I can't take enough off to stay cool.

I'm sure that melting metal with coke would be fun, I just don't have any to find out with. although I would like to build a cupola only problem is that they take more then one person to fire up, and you need to be ready to melt a bucket full of iron when you do or its a waste of time and fuel.

DA

Ha Ha well that's me told then dallen, 90 below!!! wow,no we don't get it that cold,we actually got a summer this year as well,my furnace[s] are crucible furnaces fuelled with coke & a ''bouncy castle'' blower I'll put some pics up soon.
Graham.
Thanks given by: