flat belt pulley pattern
I don't really know where to stick this so since it deals with casting I'm putting it here, if it needs to be someplace else one of the mods will let me know.

I started the flat belt pulley pattern that I am wanting to make today, only thing is I think I have already messed it up by not making the sections wide enough to offset them the way that I need to get the strength in the build up so I can turn it on the lathe.

right here's the photo.

you should be able to see the problem I mentioned above
[Image: flst-belt-0001.jpg]

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Your wife will have you making flower carts with those wheels!!!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
I really don't think that will happen Goaly I don't have one

Thanks given by:
Sometimes that is a real good thing! mine tries to keep me busy all kinds of weird projects. especially the last few years the economy around here is so much better. We sell stuff at antique malls in the area.
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
David,

Seeing your pic of the segmented wheel brings back memories, and not good ones. When I was building the wheels for my cannon, one of them came unglued (literally) when I was turning it on the lathe, and neatly removed a good sized chunk of my thumb. Be careful turning that thing.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
damn cheap chinese glue gave up on you did it. Anything in a wood lathe is a projectile looking to happen.

I had a couple of 1.5 X 3 boards about 18 inches long hose clamped together to turn the damn things slipped sideways due to soft wood and whacked me on the side of the head not once but twice before I was smart enough to throw em in the trash.

I'm gluing what you see in the photo to some backers which will be the split line in the pattern. easiest way for me to make it.

Thanks given by:
Yes turning segmented parts on the lathe can be touchy. as you come into each segment your coming out of the grain, the perfect opportunity for the chisel to dig in.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
got a little more done before the neighbor came over with a little job he needed done.

first up the shop monster said he was on strike till the eats around here improved, I told him to go ahead and strike.
[Image: shop-monster00006.jpg]

Then we did a little gluing, I may of put on a little too much weight but I wanted to be sure the glue stuck
[Image: flat-belt-pulley0007.jpg]

Started turning the outside, its either the antique MDF or the Southern Yellow Pine not sure which one but one of em was so hard I had to use tap magic for cutting fluid.
[Image: flat-belt-pulley0005.jpg]

Inside turned a lot better, but I think it was because of the CG insert that was in the bar.
[Image: flat-belt-pulley0006.jpg]
Anyway this part is in need of a hub and some gussets now and a lot of wax fillet now, gluing the other half to the MDF as I type.

DA

Thanks given by: Anzaniste
(08-26-2013, 08:15 PM)dallen Wrote: I don't really know where to stick this

You know we're really too polite to tell you. BlushBlushBlush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
thats ok Steve the last boss I had wasn't to polite Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Thanks given by: