flat belt pulley pattern
anyway here is where I stopped at for the day

we did some more gluing had to have a bigger weight for this stack so I dug around in the back of my truck and found the bottom half of a bearing housing I had been hauling around. they make great material for the furnace.
[Image: flat-belt-pulley0008.jpg]

and so it would clear the bed on the back side I turned it around so it was over the chuck and did the outside first
[Image: flat-belt-pulley0009.jpg]

on the lathe after I had turned it back around so I could to the inside.
[Image: flat-belt-pulley00010.jpg]

the two halves bolted together, the MDF that I used is a little thick but I think I can face it off in the mill after I figure out what all else I need to stick on it.
Anyway so far it didn't come apart and try to brain me or anything so I count today as a good one.
[Image: flat-belt-pulley00011.jpg]

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Ok I got around this morning after mowing the damn grass

[Image: natural-cand.jpg]

then I started in working on making gussets for the flat belt pulley, well the thin snapped apart at the glue line between the pine and the masonite that my neighbor gave me, I wasn't really a happy camper when this happened
[Image: flat-belt-pulley00014.jpg]

so it was off to town for some 1/4 inch ply in birch found a quarter sheet for 13.00 dollars
[Image: flat-belt-pulley00015.jpg]

got all cut as you can see in the photo above then mounted them up in the lathe and turned em round cause I can saw worth a damn. and then it was back to the glue
[Image: flat-belt-pulley00012.jpg]

here you can see that with the two layers of 1/4 inch ply I will end up with a 1/2 inch thick web in the pulley, with the masonite if it had of worked I would of ended up with 3/4 inch web. I might of been able to of thinned it down but I think it wouldn't of been worth the work.
[Image: flat-belt-pulley00013.jpg]

DA

Thanks given by:
(08-26-2013, 09:22 PM)dallen Wrote: I really don't think that will happen Goaly I don't have one

Be Careful there, Women be crafty you know, as soon as one finds out you can make cart wheels you'll be snapped up in a hurry.

Hmmm... maybe not, but still be careful

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
the way to get rid of the ones that want cart wheels is to make those wheels 5 sided.

another way is to use MDF, or masonite (same stuff) for the web so that the rim pops off with a little sideways pressure

Thanks given by:
slightly off topic question here,
Masonite and MDF, where I come from they are at least very different, Masonite being very dark brown and using much larger fibres, much less permeable by glues and water and seemingly much longer lasting, "Masonite" also has one smooth side(almost glass smooth) and one side has the impression of wire mesh firmly pressed into it during its manufacture.

Is this not the case worldwide, MDF seems constant in the photos I see from folks around the world, but If I'm not mistaken this might be the first time I've heard anyone on line use the term Masonite,

I'll be grateful for any answers as this sort of tiny detail thing will keep me awake at night(sad but true).

Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Masonite is the original trade name for hardboard. It has one smooth side and one textured side and as far as I know, only comes in 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses.

Hardboard (not Masonite) is also available in a tempered version that has a smooth linseed oil finish on both sides. It works great as a spacer on the mill when milling flat plates. It comes in 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses as well as perforated version called Pegboard, which is another trade name I believe.

MDF is more like tempered hardboard, but comes in thicker sheets, up to 2". Try lifting a 4 x 8 foot sheet of that!

None of this stuff glues worth a crap, as David found out.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
OK, over here (UK) and in Australia at least, MDF glues OK if you either roughen the surface just a little, even breaking the shine with scotch brite is enough, or wet it down with water an hour or so before gluing with PVA or other water wash-up wood glue, but masonite is a lost cause on the shiny side and just messy on the rough side, although it will stick on the rough side. Masonite was a trade name in Australia, so probably related to the US cousin but a different formulation given the very different colour, maybe as a result of a different feed stock. My last Australian workshop was just a mile or so from the Masonite factory in Heather brae NSW, and you could really smell it when they were cooking up a batch.

Thanks for clearing that up Tom, now I will sleep well
Regards
Rick

PS to me half the fun of this Internet chatting thing is to learn about the subtle differences in product names, specs and traditions worldwide.
Thanks given by:
where I stopped at today

[Image: flat-belt-pulley00019jpg.jpg]

[Image: flat-belt-pulley00018jpg.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Looks good...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
thanks Bob its still got a long way to go before burying it in sand.

Thanks given by: