flat belt pulley pattern
I tried to ram this thing up again this morning and pull it back out of the sand but didn't have any luck with it yet so I decided to leave the thing alone for the day and do something else.

I don't have the handcrank to is used to adjust the table and a couple of other things on the shaper so since they are cast I decided I should cast one plus I want it out of brass or bronze.

So here's the crank
[Image: crank-handle-0003.jpg]
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
That is a nice looking pattern
It is not nice ramming a big flask up then having the pattern not play
YikesYikesYikesYikesYikes
If it was easy every one would be doing it
John
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 04:46 AM)doubleboost Wrote: That is a nice looking pattern
John

Thanks, patterns made out of maple cause thats what I had that works nice and doesn't have god awful big gapping grain in it or which is a bitch to sand smooth like yellow pine. have a little more sanding to do then something to make it slick, and maybe I will get to pour it this afternoon.

I did one flask almost this large to pour a 10 inch backing plate and didn't put the handles on the ends like this one, that was a big mistake, but the real B$t%h about it was I did it by myself and wrestling 175 pound flask full of sand isn't any fun.

You are right if it was easy a everyone else would be doing it,

DA

Thanks given by:
made a little head way today on getting this pattern into a mold, the half that I have been having problems with finally gave in and pulled out of the sand with out the usual fight.

have to see about getting the the complete pattern molded now.

this looks a lot better then the photos of it having big chunks of sand tore loose in it.
[Image: flat-belt-pulley00034.jpg]

Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 04:46 AM)doubleboost Wrote: That is a nice looking pattern
John

that part didn't look as good as the pattern did the handgrip was crooked, so I cut it off and redid it last night, and there was some other issues with it that I didn't like which is the overall look of the thing. plus the core box was a pita to deal with so I made a new one just haven't gotten around to pouring another crank yet
[Image: crank-handle-0005.jpg]

Thanks given by:
That looks very good to me
Not easy ramming big moulds upYikesYikesYikes
That last bit video I did "Bobs castings"
That valve chest was a proper pain the self coring bit kept braking off
I put a couple of wood screws in the sand to support it
Worked a treat
I think they are called "gaggers"
John
Thanks given by:
I was gonna put in some lag screw's after i rammed it up but forgot to mark the flask as to where I wanted them at, so I had to pull the pattern to empty the flask but when i drilled in a couple extra vents and rapped it some on the pulling screw it popped loose.

So now I can get on with trying to pour this thing. this is one pattern that is going on the wall when I get it poured. its not quite the cup, spoon, and saucer but close enough for me.

DA

Thanks given by:
glad to hear that Dave - I'm looking forward to the pour.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I starting to think that the shop monster is lacking in faith of me finishing this project from the looks that I get from him at times.

[Image: shop-monster000014.jpg]

Thanks to my buddy giving me some paint hes had since we both were laid off, that took all day to dry, I didn't get much done plus its little piece work. all the pieces have to be pinned down so that they will stay in place when the sand hits the flask. But the pins have to be loose so that the board can be removed when the flask is flipped. Gates from the runner will be put in when the cope is rammed up so that the runner has to fill first. I still have to make core prints and a core pattern.

The gates will be placed at each one of the gussets which will be lined up in both halves of the pattern so that there will not be any large drops or waterfall effect from the molten metal which can wash out the sand.

[Image: flat-belt-pulley00037.jpg]

DA

Thanks given by:
not much progress today, I did make sure all the bits and pieces are loose on the board, got the molding board secured to the flask and made some core's. There are still two core prints to make in the morning.

The cores were made using a short section of 1.250 Sch 40 PVC pipe as the mold, I turned a couple of sleeves out of a some thick wall round tubing that would just slide into the PVC and cut a 4 degree taper on the inside to taper the ends f the core. the core prints will have the same taper turned on them.

Cores are made with silica sand and sodium silicate, hardened with CO2, the dark spots in the cores is from the Sodium Silicate forming balls in the sand and not evenly distributing thru the sand, plus I still don't have a scale to weight the ingredients.

I used a 1/4 inch rod to put a vent in the cores that goes completely thru the core and will be vented to the open atmosphere to relieve internal pressure not only in the core but the mold as a whole.

hoping to pour this Friday morning, if the foundry gods and mother nature allow it.

[Image: flat-belt-pulley00038.jpg]

Thanks given by: