worked on the burner today
I test fired my burner today to make sure that I could get oil to the nozzle. here's the results sorry about the noise, I like to annoy the neighbors.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Good idea on the variac and control box! Delevan siphon nozzle a waste oil furnace part? Wonder how they differ from a regular oil burner nozzle with the filter removed? Have you thought about a heat scavenger? your input air gets preheated, according to the old books this is like a super charger. Had one figured for the cupola that is 1/2 done. Although if your near a 100 degrees and dry probably not a problem, it's for those cool spring or fall days that is when you can find me casting (not going to do it when it's too hot or too cold)
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2013, 05:28 PM)dallen Wrote: I test fired my burner today to make sure that I could get oil to the nozzle. here's the results sorry about the noise, I like to annoy the neighbors.

DA

Nice clean burn
It looked a bit on the warm side YikesYikesYikesYikesYikes
John
Thanks given by:
it was a little on the warm side I think I may of melted the wall where the flame impinges on it some more today.

here's a shot of where I got the sand from this morning that I mentioned in the video

[Image: natural-cand.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Heat scavengers are critical for anyone that is at all concerned with fuel efficiency, without a scavenger you just throw away loads of heat. Blast furnaces just don't work without similar items called the "stoves" the "blast air" sits in the stoves pre-heating in readyness for "blast" cold air just kills a furnace.

Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
where can I get a fan at that will take the exhaust temp gas for under 80 dollars

Thanks given by:
The trick is never pump the hot air David, You pump cold air through the reclaimer and then straight into the burners/tuyeres, I posted elsewhere on our forum just yesterday on a basic form of Blast furnace stove style reclaimer, I can pretty much guarantee that you could build the whole caboodle for less than $80 using all the fans and burners that you already have and just make the two reclaimers and switching valve.

I can't remember the thread name but as soon as I post this I'll go find it and report back, and of course I'll set you up with a schematic for the system and help with the design if you really want to build one, as I said in the other post it's a system that is used on pretty much all blast furnaces so must work.

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Here tis,
MetalworkingFun Forum » Metalworking » Welding & Casting » [IDEA] Heat scavanger / preheating blast air
Best regards
Rick

Edit - I added in a hyperlink [Mayhem]
Thanks given by:
I'll stick with what I have, I've watched a lot of thread where people try to stick a heat reclaimer/ preheater on a hobby furnace and they all die sooner or later. not saying it won't work just too much trouble for something the size of my furnace, and that much more that I would have to drag out of the shed and too put back.

now if I had a cupola with say a 12 to 14 inch bore, there might be a reason for doing it, but its still a lot of work for a little gain on a crucible furnace in my eyes, and unlike California I don't have to worry about burning flue gasses or do constant stack monitoring (good thing on that as I don't have a stack)

DA

Thanks given by:
I completely understand, You have to need it for it to be worth the extra effort

When I get around to building mine the intention is to build it into the one unit, with my back, lifting furnaces, flasks, blowers and fuel is a no-go, so it will be a unit, a factory just like the steelworks foundry but in 2 square metres not 20,000 and all on wheels so if it's a good weather day I'll roll the whole thing out of storage, mould , heat, cast and demould all on the 2 square metres, all possible from a wheelchair. Because I never know when I'll be back in one, so for ease of fuelling I need to use propane and to get the heat to melt iron I'll need heat scavenging and that's about it.
I know it can be done and if it can't then it's a bad idea for me to get back into casting.

Regards
Rick
Thanks given by: