Timber Framing Saw
Mmmm ............ seems a good, quick and painful way to cut ones leg off Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I work on a lot of timber framing tools, Mafell is one of the more prominent, and definitely priciest ones out there. They also make a handheld bandsaw that can be used to cut scroll work in timbers.

Your set up looks like it will do the job, just nicely. Note that on the Mafell, they have trunnions so you can change the angle. An intersting modification to yours if you need that ability.

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice job, I ordered some 6" x 6" hemlock posts just today. I am wrapping a porch with a roof, around the 3rd side of my camp in northern Vt. (2 sides are done)
I just may need to copy you, thanks for the idea!
Larry

LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
Just need square cuts for the moment Walter but will keep that in mind. Wish I could afford one of those chain mortisers.

Nice veranda Larry, no house is complete without one. Really like the design of the shed. Apparently there's no market for hemlock here, the mills won't even take it. A neighbour had his bush logged after a bad storm the loggers left the hemlock in the bush, good score for me.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Good job on the saw Greg. Are you making half laps for the corners of the structure?

Larry: How do you like the steel roof? I'm thinking of using one on a cabin, but need to convince the wife it's a good idea.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom, we have a steel roof here with verandas all the way around. Some people say that it is too noisy when it rains but I don't think it is anything worse than when I had a house with a tiled roof. In fact, I quite like the sound. The main benefit is that of maintenance, which is minimal at best. I've been in this house for 10 years and the only time I had to replace a sheet was when lightning hit one of my trees and a large chunk landed on the roof and dented the sheet.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Tom,
The steel roof is great in every way. Cost less to buy up front, cost less to install because large sheets just get screwd into place and goes quickly. The snow slides right off the eaves. (No gutters) The warrenty is about 25 years just for the paint. You can get them cut to the length you need to make install even easier. If you have a wood stove, roof is fireproof.
For some reason in the metro Boston area we don't see it much, more of a commercial roof here. But in the more rural areas I see it everywhere.
Highly recommened!
Larry
Thanks given by:
Greg,
thanks for the comment about the shed. It is modeled after a sugar house. In northern Vermont they are everywhere. There are at least five working sugar houses within 2 miles of the camp. Have to fit in with the local vernacular!
Larry
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2013, 04:10 PM)f350ca Wrote: the bucket is on the tractor and the timbers are no where near a plug-in, dam electric chain saws.

Greg, is your gas generator not working? Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Think so Tom, the main frame is for the outside wall to support the shed roof off the back of the shop. Haven't decided how or if I'll close in the sides.

Steve? why would I want to generate gas I eat beans for that? I was looking for a current bush to plug the saw into.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: