Timber Framing Saw
Another day of distractions but made a little headway.

[Image: IMG_0753.jpg]

Still need to clean up the back of the mortises with a chisel and shave the cheeks? down to fit.

[Image: IMG_0754.jpg]

I realize it isn't metal work but I can continue with a few shots of the timber work if anyone is interested. Been too busy at other projects the machine shop is feeling neglected.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg,

Keep the pictures coming. I think the majority of us are probably woodworkers also.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ya, keep'em coming. Back in my working for pay days I told my boss that I was a "woodworker".
He asked "how so?"
I replied " there are days I would work and days I wouldn't"
RotflBlush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Im gaining a healthy respect for the old timers that framed those huge barns with hardwood and hand tools.
Slow work, at least for me. Finished fitting the two joints in what will be the top beam. Could have used a 16 and 8 footer but these 8 footers are going to be heavy enough to lift into place. The loader doesn't have nearly enough height, so it wiil be the armstrong method.

[Image: IMG_0755.jpg]

Started on the mortises for the posts to join in.

[Image: IMG_0756.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
More progress.
[Image: IMG_0757.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
That looks great Greg. How did you cut the mortises?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I'll wager he plunge cuts'em with his new toy?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 01:26 PM)TomG Wrote: That looks great Greg. How did you cut the mortises?

Tom

I hate to disappoint you, but he drills four holes then chisels out the rest! Just under "Started on the mortises for the posts to join in." the post in the background has four holes drilled in it the foreground one has been chiselled out. Other clues, chisels and a mallet on "More progress." picture!

Regards Matthew
mattinker, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
don't forget the sawzall buried in the chips on the floor

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Matthew has it right Tom. Waste out as much material as I can with the drill then clean it up with the chisel. Wish I was good enough with the chain saw to do it Steve, but I can't get firewood cut even or blocks cut square for shingles with those dam things. When I was cutting the ends of the lap joints I used the skill saw, which won't go half way through the 6x6's so dug out the sawzall Dallen, they're not accurate but sure are the ultimate tool of destruction when you're renovating.
Greg
Thanks given by: