Let's see your bandsaw
Vertical Band saw.

I rescued this about 7/8 years ago.

I was told these were bought for the Aircraft industry here in the late 50’s early 60’s.

New technology came along and they were just left for many years. Much later employees were allowed to take one.

The guy I got it from, got it from a friend of a friend – so didn’t know much about it.

It was in a bit of a sorry state all rusty –no pulleys or main shaft and one of the largest (and heaviest) single phase motor I had ever seen.

A bit of TLC and now I have a great piece of kit.

[Image: normal_IMG_0279.JPG]

[Image: normal_IMG_0281%7E1.JPG]

Had to mod it a little
The gear box was off a broken 6x4 band saw. The motor is off the same only bought new.

[Image: normal_IMG_0286.JPG]

[Image: normal_IMG_0270.JPG]

[Image: normal_IMG_0271.JPG]
I use it for cutting plate –steel and aluminium.
One of these machines you don’t use every day, but real handy to have.
Anyone know anything about them, just from an interest point of view.

DaveH

Thanks given by:
Nice rescue Dave. That old iron has a lot of life left in it thanks to you.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Wow. Excellent job on adapting the drive system to that saw Dave. That is awesome and it looks great!

You have quite a few surprises up your sleeves. Cool
Willie
Thanks given by:
A 10 year old MSC-labeled Taiwanese horizontal 7x12 that can swing vertical and has a little table to mount on it. It came with the coolant tank, and in 10 years of infrequent use the only thing that's gone south has (twice) been the toggle switch for on-off. It takes 7' 9" x 3/4" x 0.035" blades, and works pretty good as a horizontal. Vertical...not so much as the table is too small.

[Image: IMG_1535-r-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Here's my band saw. An Enco 5x6 made in Taiwan. It's been a really good saw for me. The fit and finish are excellent. I've done nothing to it other than replace the stand with one I built out of wood and got some bi-metal blades for it. I'm still on my first bi-metal blade and it's been in use for about two years now.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Ken,

Nice saw. That will last.

DaveH
Thanks given by:
Ed,
Great little band saws.

Except of course for the wobbly standBig Grin And the blade that wears quicker than the metal it is trying to cut.Big Grin

DaveH
Thanks given by:
(02-16-2012, 08:40 AM)DaveH Wrote: Vertical Band saw.
Anyone know anything about them, just from an interest point of view.

DaveH

OOOOHHH!!!! An Atlas!!!!
I have an old table saw from them! Also from about the 50's, fantastic saw that just sings!!!
Also had an Atlas lathe for a while...

Have a look here!
Lots of info on vintage machinery!

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/det...h=false&fl=

I have the manual if you are interested?

.pdf   726.pdf (Size: 899.34 KB / Downloads: 10)

Andrew

A proud member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.

1959 Myford ML7,1949 South Bend 9A,Clausing 8520 mill,Keller Die filer,1929 Rhodes Shaper.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Andrew,

:)
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nothing special, just your average 7x12 import. The only changes I have made are that I have replaced the tiny little plastic wheels and the hollow tube axles. I picked up some (HF) 8" hard rubber wheels with ball bearings to give the saw a little more ground clearance, and make it easier to roll around and over misc "debris" on the floor. Big Grin

Since the new wheels are bit wider than the original plastic ones I had to make up some longer axles to hold them. A couple of pieces of solid drill rod did the trick. The one drawback is - the saw moves so easily now, I have to use some wheel "chocks" to keep it from rolling away on me. Rolleyes
But I don't have to bend down quite so far now to use it - so it's a wash in my mind. Big Grin

I also installed a "T" into the coolant line and added a second nozzle in front of the lower guide bearings to help wash off any chips stuck to the blade before getting to the bearings. An ounce of prevention....

The days of cutting 6" solid round stock with a hacksaw is unthinkable to me now. Tongue

Willie
Thanks given by: