Taking the Mystery out of the Threading Dial
(09-09-2013, 10:21 AM)Highpower Wrote: I found out early on that using the thread dial instructions found in Southbend's "How to Run a a Lathe" book go right out the window when you own an Asian lathe. Slaphead

[Image: th_Threaddialchart.jpg]

One size does not fit all.

Well, it's not just Asian lathesSmiley-dancenana, For instance, apart from South bends and clones I don't remember ever seeing a friction drive feed mechanism, friction overload clutches yes but never on the apron, the same is true of the 45 degree angled compound slide locking screws.Chin

So while South Bend lathes are considered by some to be some kind of standard. It seems that maybe, they're really not that standard, especially outside the US, having said that, the first lathe I ever used was a Hercus the Australian South bend clone, in metalwork class in High school.

I'd be interested to know how many hobby sized "Proper US and English" Lathes were out there during the "Golden age of model engineering" compared to how many Asian lathes have been produced in say the last twenty years.

regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Taking the Mystery out of the Threading Dial - by Rickabilly - 09-09-2013, 05:12 PM