Taking the Mystery out of the Threading Dial
(09-09-2013, 06:02 PM)stevec Wrote: Rick, when was "the golden age of model engineering"? I musta missed it, either that or I forgot. Slaphead
Just a reference to a phrase used on another forum, referring to the time when all model engineers used Myfords, Boxfords and South bend lathes, When "real" model engineers refused to buy milling machines because the whole point was the challenge of doing it all on myford with a tee slot cross slide and a vertical slide, or better still a "Gingery" always "with modifications" and as is customary, forged from the sweat of a Northern miners brow.

Sorry if it didn't translate! but the idea is the the golden age itself is a bit of a myth. My personal opinion is that we are living in the beginning of the golden age, where pretty much anyone can afford a lathe to dabble with, due mainly to the Chinese machine tool industry.

Just a bit of a dig at the "Asians can't make machine tools" myth.

Regards Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Taking the Mystery out of the Threading Dial - by Rickabilly - 09-11-2013, 06:07 PM