Atlas drill press restore
Nice job on the Atlas. My dad has the same drill press except it was a bench model. I converted it to a floor model with an old base and column I had kicking around at work. It wasn't an Atlas base, but I believe it was a Clausing so it's close to being correct. I like the lighter shade of gray.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 07:35 PM)TomG Wrote: I like the lighter shade of gray.

Tom

I like the "Lighter Shade of Pale" myself... Big Grin

Very nice job of shining up that machine. It will probably outlast a few more of today's offerings.

Help me out here guys. What is that on the upper right side of the quill housing, that looks similar to an oil cup? Is that a covered zerk fitting or what? 17428
Willie
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 08:56 PM)Highpower Wrote:

Tom

Lol, I was thinking that as I typed it. Glad I'm not the only old rocker around here.
Thanks given by:
A handy addition for the drill press, a foot operated switch.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/SWI...V-CSA.html

Nice for those times when you don't use a vice and the bit grabs and you don't want to let go to turn the dang thing off.

But you have to remember to turn the machine switch off after your done or the dog comes along and steps on it and starts the drill.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 08:56 PM)Highpower Wrote:

Tom

Very nice job of shining up that machine. It will probably outlast a few more of today's offerings.

Help me out here guys. What is that on the upper right side of the quill housing, that looks similar to an oil cup? Is that a covered zerk fitting or what? 17428

You are close. Its known as a grease cup. You fill with grease and advance the lid down forcing lube to needed areas. Kinda like 'pit stick"
toolsinbox, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by: Highpower
This drill press started out as a bench model and one of my employees had a 50s atlas press rotting in a corner so he gave it to me and it drove me nuts looking at the horrid orange color so I did the rebuild and used the floor column and base. Toughest thing was to get that base off. had to use a gear box flange I had laying around to get it done. The bench top base had a brand new set of quill bearings, in the box, taped to the underside of the base. I bought new sealed motor bearing and re-did the whole works and it is a sweet unit and dead accurate. I will get a pic of it with the new rear pulley installed. I have the slow speed attachment that needs to be re built so that is a near future project. The only thing I did not rebuild on that press is the drill chuck. I will look at that at some point as well.
I am glad you enjoyed and thanks for the compliments.
toolsinbox, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 09:16 PM)f350ca Wrote: A handy addition for the drill press, a foot operated switch.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/SWI...V-CSA.html

Nice for those times when you don't use a vice and the bit grabs and you don't want to let go to turn the dang thing off.

But you have to remember to turn the machine switch off after your done or the dog comes along and steps on it and starts the drill.

Or you accidentally step on it yourself. After having seen this posted on another forum by the fellow that did just that - I don't think I want one myself. Sadno

[Image: th_xray.jpg] [Image: th_Foot_Switch_BAD.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks for sharing those photos Willie. I think I'll skip breakfast today!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Yes, foot pedals are scary. A shop I worked in had a drill press we used for power tapping and it had a foot switch that reversed the spindle. I can't tell you how many times I stepped on it by accident.

Tom
Thanks given by:
What a pussy. That is a simple case of pull it out and wrap some electrical tape around the palm of your hand. I acknowledge that a tetanus shot would be required if his immunity wasn't up to date. Having said that, if you get a chuck key stuck in your hand you are probably on first name terms with the ED doc, so tetanus status probably OK.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: