Help Welding Table Thickness
I think I'll go with a 36" x 30" x 1/2" plate. The cost difference between 3/8 and 1/2" is only $28.

Thanks for all of the advise.

Ed
Thanks given by:
My welding table was a gift from a friend and neighbour back in Mtl. Quebec.
The top is 3' x 5' x 3/8 thick, which I find to be more than thick enough.
The frame is angle iron and has a bottom tray on which my wire feed welder sits and there is a chop saw on a slide out plywood tray.
I added angle irons about 4" under the upper frame on which I was going to add drawers but I have stuck with plywood shelves that slide out from either slide. It's on 2 swivel, locking casters and 2 fixed ones.
The only improvement I can think of is the top should pass beyond the frame by a good 2" on all 4 sides for clamping ease.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: EdK
(09-18-2013, 05:36 AM)EdK Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 08:40 PM)Mayhem Wrote: ...

I've just written this and then thought that you have probably already read it in my post on my welding table!

You're right, I probably did read it at one time but it's either been erased from my memory or buried too deep to find it. Chin

Ed

WTF? You don't read the entire collection of my posts each night before going to bed?

You know we expect a build thread on this ED!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(09-18-2013, 10:51 AM)Mayhem Wrote: WTF? You don't read the entire collection of my posts each night before going to bed?
Mayem, I, for one, do read 'em but usually it only takes me one or two posts before I fall fast asleep.
Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaRotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-18-2013, 10:51 AM)Mayhem Wrote: WTF? You don't read the entire collection of my posts each night before going to bed?

You know we expect a build thread on this ED!

Smiley-signs009 Big Grin

I searched but could not find the post Darren. As you are well aware of though, the search engine sucks. Sad

I'll start a build thread since I have more questions about designing my welding table.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Awwww com'on Ed, if 1/2" will do, go for a 3" or 4" at least! (just kidding) Rotfl
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
(09-18-2013, 11:47 AM)EdK Wrote: ...I searched but could not find the post Darren. As you are well aware of though, the search engine sucks. Sad...

I just looked and I couldn't see it either!
Thanks given by:
The thicker the better
Mine is 1/2 inch plate 24inch by48 inch
The legs came from a marking off table
John
Thanks given by: EdK
Just curious John, what does a "marking off table" mean over here?
Thanks given by:
I have overhang all the way around my table and can still bend on it if needed. Greg is right with regards to having a tray under the slots. In addition for using the slots for clamping, they are very useful when plasma cutting also.

Whilst I couldn't find any pics of my table that show it in full, here are a few that show it in parts - mainly to show other parts I built. The slots are 40mm wide.

This one shows the tray that runs under the slots and the shelves that I use to keep off cuts, and scrap etc.

Thanks given by: