Making A Welding Table
I'll be using 2" square tubing with .120" wall thickness for the most part with some 1.5" and 1" square in a couple of places.

Ed

Thanks given by:
If you don't plan on moving the table too often, putting fixed casters on one end and legs on the other with removable handles that allow you to move it like a wheel barrow makes it extra stable. I have my thickness planer set up that way. Its easy enough to move when cleaning (doesn't move often) but resists movement when I need to shove a stubborn board through it.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-19-2013, 08:51 AM)f350ca Wrote: If you don't plan on moving the table too often, putting fixed casters on one end and legs on the other with removable handles that allow you to move it like a wheel barrow makes it extra stable. I have my thickness planer set up that way. Its easy enough to move when cleaning (doesn't move often) but resists movement when I need to shove a stubborn board through it.

Unfortunately I have to move it every time I want to use it and then move it back to it's resting place. I'll just make sure to use locking casters. I have my router table set up like that and it seems to work out well.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Sometimes Ed it is easier to make the tubular (frame) top part first then weld the legs on the underside of the frame. Using mitre joints on the (frame) top part helps to get it all square.
Just some thoughts.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: EdK
Ed, I too have to move my table to use it and put it back to get it out of the way. I've never experienced problems with it moved while in use. Maybe I don't use it the same manner others do. 17428
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I have a quantity of 14 gauge (.083") square and rectangular tubing that I'd like to use for the welding table. Is this too thin a gauge for the job? The 1/2" top will weigh about 180lbs. I don't plan on welding anything very heavy on the table. It sure would save me some money if I could use the tubing I already have but not at the risk of safety.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi
Ed
I would think 14 guage should be fine
If you have plenty just double up on the main members
John
I made mine from 14 gauge x 38mm sq.(1.5")
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Mmm......... 180lbs let me just work this out.
180x16 = 2880 ounces. Now 1 ounce = 28 g (near enough) 2880x28 = 80640g. Now divide by 1000 = 80.6kg lets say 81kg.

That should be fine Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(09-19-2013, 05:45 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Hi
Ed
I would think 14 guage should be fine
If you have plenty just double up on the main members
John

John,

I've got plenty of it so I'll go ahead and use it.

Ed
Thanks given by: