Molding Bench
Chuck, with green sand it all depends on your weather! if it is dry your sand will dry out, if it's humid it will not dry out as fast. It can vary a lot and by keeping it in closed containers will help! Many people go for oil based sand, it can dry out also, but very slowly.
You want your bench to hold the flask and you still have room to reach down along side the flask and pull you sand up, that way when you spill it is in the bench not on the ground or shop floor. Make it comfortable for you! too low is hard on your back bending over, too high it's hard on your back too.....it's hard work! If your serious about casting build a good one you will be happy you did.
Think of your foundry as a working triangle mold bench> pour> mull > the back to mold bench. You want stuff close but not to trip over stuff. I usually pour 4 molds at a time, plus space for ingot molds. Plan for 2 people cause it is much easier having help!
Btw there are lots of "oh s**t these guys are nuts videos" on youtube. Be safe!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
moisture content in greensand was a battle that I don't want to have to deal with again, here just a while back when I moved my muller I mixed up some and with the heat of and Oklahoma summer I was fighting the moisture in it, so I went back to using oil bonded sand.

with your muller that you say your going to build you shouldn't have too much trouble with moisture in the sand your biggest hurdle will be to understand when you have enough water in it and then quit putting any more in. if you see dark spots in the sand after squeezing some in your hand or clumps in the tub you have too much moisture in it.

as far as control goes you will probably have to adjust everytime you go to mold up a pattern. the plastic is find but don't DUMP HOT sand into it, the concrete laundry tubs a lot of people use them if they can find them cheap, heck if I could find an old cast iron bath tub I'd use it cause of the amount of sand that it can hold. My problem is I don't (too lazy to build one)have a molding bench I mold on top of my muller.

anyway build your bench strong, if it wiggles when you try to shake it, ramming molds on top of it will tear it apart.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(09-26-2013, 10:11 AM)oldgoaly Wrote: Chuck, with green sand it all depends on your weather! if it is dry your sand will dry out, if it's humid it will not dry out as fast. It can vary a lot and by keeping it in closed containers will help! Many people go for oil based sand, it can dry out also, but very slowly.
You want your bench to hold the flask and you still have room to reach down along side the flask and pull you sand up, that way when you spill it is in the bench not on the ground or shop floor. Make it comfortable for you! too low is hard on your back bending over, too high it's hard on your back too.....it's hard work! If your serious about casting build a good one you will be happy you did.
Think of your foundry as a working triangle mold bench> pour> mull > the back to mold bench. You want stuff close but not to trip over stuff. I usually pour 4 molds at a time, plus space for ingot molds. Plan for 2 people cause it is much easier having help!
Btw there are lots of "oh s**t these guys are nuts videos" on youtube. Be safe!

(09-26-2013, 10:23 AM)dallen Wrote: moisture content in greensand was a battle that I don't want to have to deal with again, here just a while back when I moved my muller I mixed up some and with the heat of and Oklahoma summer I was fighting the moisture in it, so I went back to using oil bonded sand.

with your muller that you say your going to build you shouldn't have too much trouble with moisture in the sand your biggest hurdle will be to understand when you have enough water in it and then quit putting any more in. if you see dark spots in the sand after squeezing some in your hand or clumps in the tub you have too much moisture in it.

as far as control goes you will probably have to adjust everytime you go to mold up a pattern. the plastic is find but don't DUMP HOT sand into it, the concrete laundry tubs a lot of people use them if they can find them cheap, heck if I could find an old cast iron bath tub I'd use it cause of the amount of sand that it can hold. My problem is I don't (too lazy to build one)have a molding bench I mold on top of my muller.

anyway build your bench strong, if it wiggles when you try to shake it, ramming molds on top of it will tear it apart.

DA

Thanks for the comments, guys.
I'm still scared enough of casting to be very cautious. Hope to remain so!
Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
Come on DA! you ain't lazy!!! I've got that covered!
Chuck, knowing what can cause a major fubar helps! moisture turns to steam steam can power a locomotive!, always check your gas line fittings, just do a walk thru with out the heat on what can you trip or slip on! Keep all you metal and tools dry, a fire extinguisher handy, a bucket of sand handy, no water hose! Man I wish you guys were closer I could use the help! a month after having my right shoulder get stuck,zero movement, it is back to 20-25% and I'm thrilled! another week and the left shoulder maybe rested and feel less sore. This growing old isn't for sissy's!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Hi
You have proberbly seen my moulding bench in one of my vids
The only thing I want to change is the sand box .
It needs lining as the wood dries out the sand very fast
Build it as big as you can & it must be strong
Mine has a nice flat lid as the bench is used for pattern making
John
Thanks given by:
(09-26-2013, 02:28 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Hi
You have proberbly seen my moulding bench in one of my vids
The only thing I want to change is the sand box .
It needs lining as the wood dries out the sand very fast
Build it as big as you can & it must be strong
Mine has a nice flat lid as the bench is used for pattern making
John
Thanks for the comments John. That is how I have it planned. If I was better at sheetmetal, I'd line it with tin. I think I can find a plastic storeage bin or two with lids to hold sand and attempt to keep the moisture right, or at least close.
Yes, it will have to have a lid, as my small space requires it be used as a work surface when not molding/casting.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
to give you and idea of how strong you need to make your bench the photo below is of one of my flask it takes about 40 pounds of sand to ram it up full with a medium size pattern in it its 12X12X3, so don't skimp on your bench pressure treated 2X lumber is pretty cheap here, and don't use nails use lag bolts, you really only want to build it one time, not rebuild it everytime you want to use it.

If I ever get off my butt I have a chunk of 24 inch pipe I plan on splitting and making into a bench just need to scrounge up some more stuff for legs and such already have the bar grate for the top.

[Image: flask-1.jpg]
DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
DA, I plan on using drywall screws, 2 x 4's with lap joints and
glue to make my frame.

Chuck
Thanks given by: