Cutting Speed and RPM on the Lathe and Mill
When I installed a VFD and MachTach on my ZX-25 mill and Hercus lathe, my finish quality went way up and tool breakage went way down. I had been using my cutting speed charts, but sometimes went with 'close enough' if faced with a slight belt change.

I have three MachTachs running on four machines. Nice work, Henry.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Tom, just got to watch this video. Very well presented, in a way that makes it simple to apply. No excuses now!
Thanks, Larry
LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2013, 07:16 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(10-03-2013, 11:35 AM)EdK Wrote: I hesitate in saying, probably not.

HP = Hewlett Packard
RPN = Reverse Polish Notation
RPM = Revolutions Per Minute (Oh, you probably knew that. Big Grin )

Ed

Ahh - its all so clear to me now! I thought there was a missing link to an online calculator or something Big Grin Then I recall Tom using a calculator in his video...

RPN calculators seem to be one of those you either love it or you hate it scenarios. In reality it's just another way of getting the same answer. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 05:07 PM)Micktoon Wrote: Hi Tom , another quality video , thanks for going to the trouble of making it WorthyWorthy
If you are still looking for suggestions for topics, milling Tee slots and milling dove tails is something that is useful to know about, especially any tips from experience Smile
I know you have been super fast in the past Tom , but honestly just when ever if you fancy doing them Big Grin

Keep up the good work Smiley-eatdrink004
Cheers Mick
Hi Tom , happy hunting , any chance of a couple of photos of the North Woods ? just nice to see where other people have access to countryside wise Smile
Looking forward to the videos when you get the time .
Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2013, 11:29 AM)LJP Wrote: Tom, just got to watch this video. Very well presented, in a way that makes it simple to apply. No excuses now!
Thanks, Larry

Thanks Larry. My goal is to make these videos so simple that even I can understand them.Blink

Glad you enjoyed the lesson.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2013, 04:05 PM)EdK Wrote:
(10-04-2013, 07:16 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(10-03-2013, 11:35 AM)EdK Wrote: I hesitate in saying, probably not.

HP = Hewlett Packard
RPN = Reverse Polish Notation
RPM = Revolutions Per Minute (Oh, you probably knew that. Big Grin )

Ed

Ahh - its all so clear to me now! I thought there was a missing link to an online calculator or something Big Grin Then I recall Tom using a calculator in his video...

RPN calculators seem to be one of those you either love it or you hate it scenarios. In reality it's just another way of getting the same answer. Smile

Edt

Yup, another way to get the same answer but without having to use a memory key or the equal sign. Thumbsup

Tom
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2013, 04:09 PM)Micktoon Wrote:
(10-03-2013, 05:07 PM)Micktoon Wrote: Hi Tom , another quality video , thanks for going to the trouble of making it WorthyWorthy
If you are still looking for suggestions for topics, milling Tee slots and milling dove tails is something that is useful to know about, especially any tips from experience Smile
I know you have been super fast in the past Tom , but honestly just when ever if you fancy doing them Big Grin

Keep up the good work Smiley-eatdrink004
Cheers Mick
Hi Tom , happy hunting , any chance of a couple of photos of the North Woods ? just nice to see where other people have access to countryside wise Smile
Looking forward to the videos when you get the time .
Cheers Mick

Thanks Mick,the hunting and fishing have been better, but we are still having fun. I had a large (20+pound) salmon on hook last night, but he broke my tackle and got off. We saw zero grouse yesterday and only one today, but we had him for supper. Big Grin

Our cottage is located in Naubinway, Michigan, on the North Shore of Lake Michigan. The fishing pics below were taken at the mouth of the Millecoquins river just down the beach from our cottage and the beach shot is in front of it. It's heavy into autumn up here now and the colors are amazing.

The third pic is looking straight at Chicago 312 miles SSW, a LONG way to paddle.

Tom

[Image: image_1.jpg]

[Image: image_2.jpg]

[Image: image_3.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0162.jpg]

[Image: 006.JPG]
Thanks given by:
Gorgeous scenery Tom. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed, it's a great place to get away.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom ,thanks for posting the photos, that looks one lovely place to spend time, looks like heaven for your labs too Smile
I have had a few good labs over the years, hard to beat a lab for all round dog if you ask me.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your time there.

Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by: