a day in the back yard
the pattern is around 4.5 inches in diameter, so by the time you clean it up its around 4 1/4 inches, it was a pattern I made a while back when I acquired a 4" 4 jaw chuck and made a backplate out of some bronze bushings that I had been given. After messing up the thread I found that I could get a plate from W.T. for a decent price and went that way.

This was made because I was trying to figure out what I keep messing up when trying to melt Cast Iron, when the stuff in the crucible started melting I needed something besides the ingot tray to pour it into, and the pattern that I had been working on tore a big hunk loose in it, its not a complicated pattern just a dog to mold because of the shape, I grabbed this backing plate and poured it because it was one I could mold up fast.

I'll probably leave it like in the photo because I don't need it at the moment, or if someone needs one and wants to machine their own they can have it.
the iron cut pretty decent,

Good news is that the new wall lining I put in the furnace is holding up, has a few stress cracks but I knew they were going to happen, otherwise it looks good. Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-02-2013, 06:01 PM
RE: a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-02-2013, 10:30 PM
RE: a day in the back yard - by LJP - 10-03-2013, 06:49 AM
RE: a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-03-2013, 08:38 AM
RE: a day in the back yard - by chucketn - 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM
RE: a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM
RE: a day in the back yard - by chucketn - 10-03-2013, 06:32 PM
RE: a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-03-2013, 06:43 PM