Unitec S-165
Unitec S-165

I'm rooting through some old stuff

I came across some of Pops welding rods - wrapped in newspaper 1989 or older = that's 25 years old.

I've got flux coated braze, 6013, 7018, 7014, 308

Would you believe that the 7018 has the nicest flux coating - hard and intact.

The 7014 is soft and powdery - but I'll try to dry it out and see if it hardens, maybe try it on some non critical projects.
There is what I consider a lot of it.

The braze flux is completely gone maybe good with external flux

I've got one labelled
Unitec S-165 3/32"
I can't find any reference to what that is,

amperage, polarity, prep and usage ?
Thanks given by:
a lot cen be determined with a close up photo of the rod. ferrous/non ferrous I'm going to say ferrous does it have a really heavy coat of flux or thin??.

you may be able to save the 7014 I have some 6013 that I know is probably over 30 years old I still weld with it,

the brazing rod go grab a box of borax and braze away
the 7018 rod oven for 8 hours at 350 if your going to be doing code work otherwise in the homemade rod box with a hundred watt light bulb over night
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:

(10-07-2013, 11:46 PM)dallen Wrote: a lot cen be determined with a close up photo of the rod. ferrous/non ferrous I'm going to say ferrous does it have a really heavy coat of flux or thin??.

you may be able to save the 7014 I have some 6013 that I know is probably over 30 years old I still weld with it,

the brazing rod go grab a box of borax and braze away
the 7018 rod oven for 8 hours at 350 if your going to be doing code work otherwise in the homemade rod box with a hundred watt light bulb over night

Thanks for the reply

Here's a photo
Thanks given by:
looks like stainless steel stick a magnet to it, without having some data base for the number you will probably never find out exactly which one which isn't a totally bad thing its just if it is stainless you really want to use rod made from the same alloy

most stainless steel rods with a 16 in the designator are DC rods, fire it up at about 80 amps straight polarity on a DC machine an see what it does.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
It is magnetic
Thanks given by: