Colchester DRO
(10-27-2013, 02:48 PM)paulmo101 Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 01:23 PM)PixMan Wrote: The DRO scale for X axis (cross slide) on my lathe is also stuck on "way out back" and doesn't interfere with anything at all.

OK, so there is a tiny sacrifice in how close the tailstock can get to the cross slide. A socket head cap screw prevents the tailstock from ever hitting the DRO scale.

Hi Folks

Pixman - just wondering how the far end ( sticky out bit) of the scale is supported I cant see any support in the pics?

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

I just noticed your note. I'll get another photo tonight or tomorrow and see how it's fastened. I got the lathe with the DRO installed and never really looked that one over.

I did have trouble with the long Z axis readout. When that one was installed they positioned the scale in such a way that it never hit the limits with the 10" 3-jaw chuck on it. However, once I added the collet closer the cross slide could now get at least 4" closer to the spindle. When I did that, unbeknownst to me the reader head got knocked out of position and wore through it's mounting stalk. No sign of problems until it stopped moving one day. Couldn't save the reader head so I bought a new 150mm scale off of eBay and cannibalized it. I moved the scale 4" closer to the spindle, aligned everything within .002" and it's worked perfect ever since.
Thanks given by: