MIG welding a cast iron exhaust manifold.

You guys know how hard it is sometime to weld an old junky exhaust manifold? I have done hundreds of them over the last 34 years most of them stick with Ni rod and some brazed. Some worked well some didn't. So move ahead 30 years i picked up some Crown Alloys .035 44-30 mig wire for cast iron. Its used with Argon and works great. This manifold on my Geo Metro had a crack and it has been hissing for 4 months or so. I drove the car around to warm it up since i wasn't planning to remove it and hit the crack with a die grinder and a stone. Then i dabbed the mig wire in the clean area and triggered it right up the crack. It took about 30 seconds and sealed the crack right up. I let the car run for a few minutes and then let it cool. So far so good. The 2# spool is 75 bucks and i wanted to try it out for a test.
UPDATE since i welded this. The car now has 4,000 miles on this fix and its still perfect...Bob

http://www.crownalloys.com/TechSheet/CAS...arning.pdf

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Bob,
Well that seems to have worked Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
That's good to know. I've got an old franklin stove with a cast iron skirt that was broken up before I was born. It's on my list for a future restore.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
The repaired part is still perfect. I have been welding cast iron for at least 34 years and wish this wire had been out sooner it sure would have made some jobs easier. I have a few parts that need built up and polished off...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
Bob,

You say you used Argon is that 100% argon
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(04-21-2012, 07:50 PM)DaveH Wrote: Bob,

You say you used Argon is that 100% argon
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
From Crown Alloys tech sheet:
Shielding gas should
be Argon or CO2 or a 75% Argon/25% CO2.
I used Argon but i see any welding gas can be used...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=416]

Now that's how you know somebody does a LOT of welding.....
A quick install, pre-tensioned small spool adapter!

My hat's off to you Bob. That is a really slick idea, and I'll bet it is quite a time saver. Smiley-signs021
Willie
Thanks given by:
Bob, is that stuff available in flux cored wire? Although my welder can use shielding gas I'd rather not have to buy a cylinder as well as the wire just for a cast iron welding experiment on my broken shaper (don't ask how it got broken).
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(04-22-2012, 08:33 AM)stevec Wrote: Bob, is that stuff available in flux cored wire? Although my welder can use shielding gas I'd rather not have to buy a cylinder as well as the wire just for a cast iron welding experiment on my broken shaper (don't ask how it got broken).

No the wire needs the gas, sorry...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
(04-22-2012, 05:11 AM)Highpower Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=416]

Now that's how you know somebody does a LOT of welding.....
A quick install, pre-tensioned small spool adapter!

My hat's off to you Bob. That is a really slick idea, and I'll bet it is quite a time saver. Smiley-signs021

Thanks. I dreamed up a few of those and just have them on the shelf in a plastic bag...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by: