Concrete Countertops
(10-21-2013, 10:23 PM)f350ca Wrote: to see if Nancy the clerk were lend me her vibrator, she wouldn't,

You're lucky Greg, the last time I asked a lady that question I got slapped in the mouth. Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Figured it was worth asking, would have saved me some build time. She had a good laugh over it.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Today was pour day.
The first layer, regular pre bagged concrete mix, with fiberglass chop and plasticizer added. This layer is 1 1/2 thick.

[Image: IMG_0813.jpg]

The styrofoam strips that keep the concrete away from the front edges were removed once the concrete had set enough to not slump.

[Image: IMG_0814.jpg]

The final layer, 3/8 marble chips with enough white portland to fill in the voids. Grey dye and plasticizer used as well.

[Image: IMG_0815.jpg]

The surface finish is horrible, with no sand to float the stone its almost impossible to trowel.

Now wait a few days to allow it to set.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Well hopefully that will all polish out to a lovely finish - I wait with baited breath. How long will it have to mature before it's safe to raise and place it? Are you covering it to control the moisture to stop the upper layer drying too fast? Did the vibrator perform to your satisfaction? (that WAS a serious question !!)
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Greg,

I was trying (without success) to find the thread you did on your kitchen counters to see how they were ground. If I remember correctly didn't you use a HF diamond wheel and some sort of arm to hold the grinder?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Forgot to mention, the vibrator seamed to work well, the proof will be when I pull the forms in a day or two. Could pull them now but the edges would be fragile and might get bumped in the shop. will probably spray them down and cover them with plastic today.
Don't remember doing a thread on the counters before Tom. Might have mentioned the grinder though. Bought the wheel from a Canadian supplier as I do with the polishing pads, too much drama getting things over the border. Your right, the last grinder was on an arm that allowed the head to raise on the high spots, but bottom out on a stop. Once flat it stayed on the stop.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, I've seen, and marvelled at the beauty of the concrete countertops but I can't remember what webthing it was on.
There's that "can't remember" thing again! I know it wasn't "chez toi" when Elaine and Kayla (our golden) visited you and Rufus and your son. It musta been e-mails from you when you were out west.

By the way, you owe us a visit, maybe it shoulda been done when we were only a coupla hours apart. If you and yours are ever thinking of an eastern trip the welcome matt is out!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve, don't remember posting them before, my "can't remember" thing this time. Will get down your way one of these summers, its on the ever expanding list.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Love ta see ya man, we got plenty of room here.
Thanks given by:
Greg,

Didn't you post some pics of the ones you made for your kitchen?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: