Concrete Countertops
Probably did Tom, but sure don't remember. Isn't getting old great,
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I distinctly remember about that post also. I'd do a search but the search engine doesn't. Sadno

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed I have found that the simple search box that is on every page is about as much use as a chocolate kettle. The actual search engine that hides behind the search tab on the menu isn't too bad. Perhaps you could remove the crappy one?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren,

At least a chocolate kettle can be eaten so it has some use. Big Grin

Removing the crappy search would mean digging into the code and figuring out how to change it to remove it. I think I'll save that for a cold, snowy day. I haven't found the search under the search tab to be much better than the crappy one. That's the one I always use and it is also pathetic. Supposedly the search engine will be improved in version 2.0 of the software because there are a lot of complaints about it. When version 2.0 will be released is anybodies guess since the software is written by all volunteers. Version 2.0 will be a major overhaul of the software with a ton of changes.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Stripped the forms after sitting for 6 days. A few small voids on the edges that will need repair but generally look good.

[Image: IMG_0828.jpg]

Quality control sticking its nose in as usual

[Image: IMG_0830.jpg]

This narrow strip goes in behind the slide in range, you can see the regular portland base and the decorative stone top layer.

[Image: IMG_0829.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Looking good Greg, can't wait to see the grinding.

I use the sniff test all the time to determine of parts are to size. ;)

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Started on the grinder today.
Spent at least 2 hours scouring the shop for some cable guides I'd planed to use as wheels for it to run on. Don't remember using them but there they were gone.
So started whittling some 2 inch shaft, bored to fit some small bearinged rollers that came from some where.

[Image: IMG_0831.jpg]

Used my over sized parting tool to cut grooves that will run on the sawmill tracks. Need to invest in another parting tool, the one I've had for some time met its demise parting some 2 inch pipe, it must have caught a weld or something, grabbed, the pipe wall crushed and it came out of the chuck destroying the parting tool. This one takes a .25 wide insert, alright for this sort of work but a little heavy for say a 1/2 inch shaft.

[Image: IMG_0832.jpg]

The semi finished product, 1/2 thou interference fit, need to press the bearing cartridges in.

[Image: IMG_0833.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
A little progress today.
Setting up to weld the pivot that the grinding head will move up and down and sideways on, needed to be square and level.
[Image: IMG_0844.jpg]

Boring the pivot to fit the pipe we machined yesterday, gave it 5 thou clearance.
[Image: IMG_0846.jpg]

A mock up of how the diamond wheel will be mounted, the shaft and bearing housing is liberated from a tile saw (no need to reinvent the wheel). I'll machine a sleeve to fit over the bearing housing to give a fine height adjustment. A 2 hp electric motor will mount behind the pivot to balance the weight so I get some feel of the grinding pressure.
Takes the full of a 2 hp motor to spin that wheel at 5000 rpm, tried a 3/4 hp one before, it would stall as soon as the wheel touched the concrete.

[Image: IMG_0848.jpg]

All for today
Greg
Greg
Thanks given by:
That looks a hell of a lot sturdier than this one I happened to stumble on when looking at surface grinder listings:

.jpg   mk9CFO-LVCHYRc2mpS-SljQ.jpg (Size: 7.13 KB / Downloads: 87)
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Greg,

What are you planning to use for a motor?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: