Shapers who else has one?
Jan,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice tools and shop. I love that shaper you've got.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Jan, welcome, excellent compact shop! Thumbsup Please don't tell my wife what can be done with 10.125 sq. metres. I love my space.
Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Welcome aboard Jan! That is a nicely tooled shop you have there and how nice to have a nearly new shaper. I look forward to seeing your work...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(05-13-2013, 03:03 PM)Jan Nieuwenhuis Wrote: My 8" shaper is made by the Dutch AI-Hembrug factory.

It was almost unused when I bought it last year.
I've got a little workshop of 2.25 x 4.5 m (7 1/2 x 15 feet) in which I managed to cram two toolroom lathes, the shaper, a horizontal/vertical mill, a die filer, a tool&cutter grinder and a table drill (which is placed on the workbench).

I guess you could say it's a little tightCool

The shaper is about 50 years old and still in perfect shape.
It doesn't have the original vise, but the former owner put a Brockhaus vise on it.
The vise alone would have cost new more than I paid for the complete shaper!!
Its performing perfectly on the shaper, so no complaints from me...

Cheers,
Jan
Nice Shaper there Jan [but I would say that 'cos I love shapers] I have an alba & an elliot was going cheap so I couldn't resist it & got that as well, you think your workshop's full??? mines an old cowbyre bursting at the seams,will post some pic's soon.
Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
Nice set up Jan, and thanks for the interesting pictures,
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(03-24-2012, 02:38 PM)aametalmaster Wrote: I am old school and just love shapers. Learned how to run them in the early 70's in metal shop then a year later in Vocational Machine Trades where we had bigger ones. Didn't know at the time they were almost obsolete until i got in a few real shops. So anyway here is my little 7" SBL prob from the early 50's since it isn't the newer oil pump model from the 60's. I paid 300 bucks for it 3 blocks from my house. I looked for years online for one but they were too far away. I made the round corner stand since i wanted the old time look. Enjoy...Bob

Good looking Shaper there, Bob.
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2012, 12:58 AM)Dave J Wrote: I have 3 shapers so I thought I would join in.

The first one I bought many years ago and it is a Douglas 10 1/2 inch stroke shaper.
It is in perfect condition wear wise and at the moment it is pulled down getting full going over, under drive and some other mods done.

The next one I got was a Alba 24 inch shaper. It has a bit of wear from the operators not oiling the ram enough.
This is a photo from when I bought it.

And this is the vise I picked up for it. It has 330mm jaws on it.

And this is the latest one I picked up about a month ago which is another Douglas shaper. I have plans to pull it down and bolt the main casting and the ram onto the Alba for a vertical slotter since vertical slotters are so hard to come by. The vise can then go on the other Douglas because it never came with one.

Dave

Hi Dave, you started a nice collection of Douglas Shapers there. Thank you for the posting.

May i ask, do you still have a 11" Douglas with the factory fitted conical clutch? I'm hopeful someone here may be able to give me photos and perhaps even measurements of the clutch arrangement and linkages so I might fabricate one for my Douglas 11", as you may see below.

john aka castellated nut
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2012, 10:51 PM)Tony Wells Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 07:57 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Internal/external spline cutting? That's just a step or two away from a taut-wire involute generator for gear teeth or involute splines. Nice work! Thumbsup

You happen to have a link that describes that process? I ran across it a while back but lost track of it. I want to keep it for archives. Once in a while, I have a use for that.

Hi Tony,

regarding your request for information, this may be well past the use-by date. I'll post some photos which may garner something useful.

John axa castellated nut
Thanks given by:

(05-14-2013, 04:33 PM)the artfull-codger Wrote:
(05-13-2013, 03:03 PM)Jan Nieuwenhuis Wrote: My 8" shaper is made by the Dutch AI-Hembrug factory.

It was almost unused when I bought it last year.
I've got a little workshop of 2.25 x 4.5 m (7 1/2 x 15 feet) in which I managed to cram two toolroom lathes, the shaper, a horizontal/vertical mill, a die filer, a tool&cutter grinder and a table drill (which is placed on the workbench).

I guess you could say it's a little tightCool

The shaper is about 50 years old and still in perfect shape.
It doesn't have the original vise, but the former owner put a Brockhaus vise on it.
The vise alone would have cost new more than I paid for the complete shaper!!
Its performing perfectly on the shaper, so no complaints from me...

Cheers,
Jan
 Nice Shaper there Jan [but I would say that 'cos I love shapers] I have an alba & an elliot was going cheap so I couldn't resist it & got that as well, you think your workshop's full??? mines an old cowbyre bursting at the seams,will post some pic's soon.
Graham.
Good afternoon Graham,

We are having very unusual weather this time of the year, i hope it clears up for you well before you go home.

On another matter I finally got to post pictures (attachments) hereabouts . . . after discovering that there is a file size limit of 2mb for JPEG files and on inquiry with Vinney he and EdK provided that there is also a limit of 15 attachments per posting. The confusion about Attachments arises I believe because right there on the Attachments line it says "You are currently using x MB of your allocated attachment usage (Ulimited) [View my Attachments]".

Here's a photo of my 11" PK Douglas Shaper,         .
I also have a PK Douglas printers Compositors Machine stored under the Welding table with a lot other stuff.

My plans are for a fabrication of the factory optional conical clutch for the Shaper and a conversion of the Compositors to use as a Surface Grinder.

all the best to you, from john axa castellated nut
Thanks given by:
HiJan,
Yes it is unusual weather, first we get roasted then soaked, still this is good to me, I'm going back to snow and frost, will have to Stoke the rocket stove up in the workshop, you pay to keep cool and we pay to keep warm, I've been to the northern districts model engineering club in balcatta, what a great set of lads, they really made me welcome, was using the shaper just before I came out here on some parts for a little steam engine for my grandson,even though I have a miller I love the finish the shaper makes, and cheap tooling, you could pick them up for peanuts years ago but now they're going up in price a bit like die filing machines.
Regards Graham
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by: