Shapers who else has one?
(04-02-2012, 12:37 PM)ToolCat Wrote: Thanks Dave, Ron and Ed!
Ron, I'm in Kearney. Are you close?

I have friends in Kearney! Nice town, except for the 3am freight train that insists on sounding its horn. Scared the hell out of me as I thought it was the twister alarm going off. Still have the local ice hockey shirt too.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:

Not really. I'm in the town of Elkhorn (or was until Omaha annexed us). You're probably lucky I'm not as I'd be getting drool all over those nice tools. Drool

(04-03-2012, 12:52 AM)Mayhem Wrote:

I have friends in Kearney! Nice town, except for the 3am freight train that insists on sounding its horn. Scared the hell out of me as I thought it was the twister alarm going off. Still have the local ice hockey shirt too.

Funny. I grew up living just a couple of blocks from a rail crossing (town was only a few blocks big) and to this day I don't really notice the train whistles. I smashed a lot of pennies on the tracks though Big Grin and have some sections of rail I'm using as anvils.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2012, 12:52 AM)Mayhem Wrote:

That would be the Union Pacific going through Kearney. I read that U.P. says this is the busiest track in the US. The trains are carrying coal east from mines in Wyoming. So if the trains don't get you, the tornadoes will! They sound just like a train.
Thanks given by:
My latest purchase is this Rhodes Shaper with a slitter head!!
I think i win the "Mine is older than yours"!!!!
1929 vintage and it still runs like a dream!!!

The dovetails still have the original scraping and flaking marks.
Unfortunately it did not come with a vise....Sadno

And of course the pictures:

[Image: IMG_6351.jpg]
[Image: IMG_6353.jpg]
[Image: IMG_6346.jpg]
[Image: IMG_6342.jpg]
[Image: IMG_6347.jpg]

This is one of the older Rhodes shapers since it has the motor above the machine. This was most likely line driven at some time.
Later models had it connected to the castings base.

When i first set it up the motor had been wire for the incorrect rotation.
It was cutting faster on the forward stroke and returning slowly.
A quick rewire and it sounds and works a lot better!!!
This was luckily pointed out to me by HMEM members otherwise i would never have known!
The manuals available have very little info in them...

And a quick video of it running:
http://youtu.be/PJnH_189v48

I hope you enjoyed the pics and video!!!

Andrew
A proud member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.

1959 Myford ML7,1949 South Bend 9A,Clausing 8520 mill,Keller Die filer,1929 Rhodes Shaper.
Thanks given by:
Andrew,

That's a beautiful machine.

Thoroughly enjoyed the pics and the video Smiley-signs107

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Love the pics and video, thanks Andrew.Smiley-signs107

I'm quite sure that's the first time I have ever seen a shaper work!Drool

So how dose it know when to lift and lower the cutting tool?Chin

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Cuts on the forward stroke and the backwards motion raise the clapper box and clears the cutter from the work!
Simple and elegant!

Andrew

1959 Myford ML7,1949 South Bend 9A,Clausing 8520 mill,Keller Die filer,1929 Rhodes Shaper.
Thanks given by:
Cool!!Big GrinBig Grin

Thanks Andrew. Big GrinBig Grin

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(04-29-2012, 01:57 PM)lazylathe Wrote: My latest purchase is this Rhodes Shaper with a slitter head!!
Andrew
Just curious Andrew, did you mean "slotter" head? If so I'd love a peek at that.
I would mount the vise 90° to the way you have yours, but then, I broke my shaper so maybe I shouldn't commentBlush.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(04-30-2012, 05:30 AM)stevec Wrote:
(04-29-2012, 01:57 PM)lazylathe Wrote: My latest purchase is this Rhodes Shaper with a slitter head!!
Andrew
Just curious Andrew, did you mean "slotter" head? If so I'd love a peek at that.
I would mount the vise 90° to the way you have yours, but then, I broke my shaper so maybe I shouldn't commentBlush.

Hi Steve,

Yes it does have the SLOTTER head!
Stupid spell check does not recognize that word and changes it to slitter...Pcwhack

At the moment i am using a cheap drill press vise and that is the only way it will fit in the pre drilled holes in the top plate.
Looking for the correct vise may take some time....Chin
Also most shaper vises have a removable crank that is removed once the work is secured. The drill press one gets in the way of the table in/out feed handle if mounted 90 degress to what it is now....Bash

Here are some pics of the slotter head!
[Image: IMG_6363.jpg]
[Image: IMG_6361.jpg]
[Image: IMG_6362.jpg]
And the slotter head
[Image: IMG_6355.jpg]

Andrew

Thanks given by: