Shapers who else has one?
    I have been working on this off and on for awhile and my first test it
works perfect. Fully adjustable and adjustable dead center since this
photo I have added a brass degree wheel.
big job, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by:
Internal/external spline cutting? That's just a step or two away from a taut-wire involute generator for gear teeth or involute splines. Nice work! Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Big job,
Very good Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
This 7" Ammco is perfect for my shop. I got her some years ago for a bit over $1000 shipped from St. Louis to the middle of Nevada. Old iron is impossible to find out here, much less small shapers. I found this one on eBay and was lucky that the seller was willing to disassemble it and ship it for me.

I put her on a small rolling cart that I made out of an old computer server cart with a double thickness of counter top material for a top. I gave her new red (link) belts and some oil and she's happy. This is the most fun machine to run. Hypnotizing...

Here she is squaring up a block of 4140 that was going to be a 50 BMG falling block receiver. I since sold the barrel and ammo and gave away the block of steel. Decided to build a smaller rifle. Note the snow outside the door, it was a warm day and I needed fresh air. Smile

Ken
An old tired/retired/wanna-be machinist. Cool
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2012, 07:57 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Internal/external spline cutting? That's just a step or two away from a taut-wire involute generator for gear teeth or involute splines. Nice work! Thumbsup

You happen to have a link that describes that process? I ran across it a while back but lost track of it. I want to keep it for archives. Once in a while, I have a use for that.
Thanks given by:
A disk of the pitch circle (minus, I believe, one wire diameter) is fastened to the arbor and the wire, wrapped around the disk, is held taut and stationary. As the table moves, the disk turns and rotates the blank.

Generating involutes with a shaper:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/...huck1.html
(While you're there, check out his Geochuck under "projects".)

I wonder if a properly timed, off-center disk would generate mitre gears?
Thanks given by:
I remembered the basic process, but wanted the specifics. I think that's a different page than I originally saw, but thanks for the link.

I'll have to ponder over the mitre gear setup. It might work.
Thanks given by:
I believe this is the one I was reading before. I guess my Google-Fu is returning.

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/Tools...%20cut.pdf
Thanks given by:
Suppose some gearing was somehow involved, the lot mounted at an angle to the ram. Are we cutting helical gears now?

I found the article by "Base Circle" that goes into a bit more detail on plain involutes, pdf attached.

Attached Files
.pdf   shaping gears.pdf (Size: 391 KB / Downloads: 20)
Thanks given by:
<chuckle> Same file.
Thanks given by: