Grinding Turning and Facing Tools for the Lathe
Here's a little video I threw together where I discuss the geometry of turning and facing tools for the lathe and demonstrate how to grind them.

Tom

[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom,
Great explanation and demonstration of tool grinding.
What was once complicated and mysterious is becoming clear, and dare I say "simple".
Thanks, Larry
LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
Another great video Tom, but we want pictures of the wooden lathe that first cutter goes in.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Lol, leave it up to Greg to zero in on the only reference to wood in the video.

Tom
Thanks given by:
My, Tom, what a big tool you have there. It's very nice, and bigger than the "other guy" who posts videos on YouTube.

I much prefer your videos to the guy who I detest in his choice of name, poor methods, and lax safety. Even his voice gets to me. You don't come across at all like him, much nicer and unassuming.

BTW, what is this "high speed steel" stuff you are referring to?

Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I actually didn't notice that the "other guy" was also using a wooden demo tool until after I had used one in my threading video. These are fresh made, but I also used them when I was teaching back in the 70's. I'm sure the original set is in a box somewhere in the attic. 17428

I'm not going to bad mouth the other guy because I know how hard is is to do this stuff on video and get it to come across as you expect, not that he isn't in my sights. I haven't watched enough of his stuff to judge his safety practices, but they are high on my list. I've seen way too much to ignore it.

You aren't going to get off that easy Ken, I know for a fact that you were using HSS tooling on a project last week. It must have been a serious emergency if "Mister Insert" couldn't come up with one for the job. Big Grin

Tom
Thanks given by:
(10-21-2013, 01:55 PM)TomG Wrote: I know how hard is is to do this stuff on video and get it to come across as you expect, Tom
Self praise Tom, Rotfl but well deserved, keep it up.Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(10-21-2013, 12:53 PM)PixMan Wrote: I much prefer your videos to the guy who I detest in his choice of name, poor methods, and lax safety. Even his voice gets to me. You don't come across at all like him, much nicer and unassuming.
Big Grin

I agree 100% with you there Ken.

Nicely shown Tom, Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(10-21-2013, 01:55 PM)TomG Wrote: I haven't watched enough of his stuff to judge his safety practices, but they are high on my list.
Tom
His classic one is how to coil or uncoil a band saw blade in the process he manages to lacerate his wrist Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(10-21-2013, 03:01 PM)DaveH Wrote: His classic one is how to coil or uncoil a band saw blade in the process he manages to lacerate his wrist Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Yup. I spotted that one years ago and was so disgusted at the way he brushed it off as a "stuff happens" kind of thing. No chance he'd take any responsibility for something like that.
Thanks given by: