Railing job
This is what i have been doing at work for the last few weeks. Normally we make these work platforms and they have 2x2 sq tube posts and welded cross bars from 1 1/2" tubing. This batch of platforms has 1 5/8" formed railing with cross rails that need coped. So i have like 390 rail sections to fit and tack together for the welders. Plus they have pockets that the rails sit in and need to all be removable. I have found the quickest way to cope the 1 5/8" tube is with a grinder and 36 grit sanding disc. Like 30 seconds per end. Just measure between the uprights and add 1/2". Then scribe a line 1/4" from the tube end and grind to the line while feathering to the center of the tube then roll the tube 180 degrees and do the other side. Piece of cake...Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Nice joints there Bob Graemlin , looks like a machine had done them if I didn't know Smile ..............I bet you will be dreaming about them rails at night !

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2013, 06:25 PM)Micktoon Wrote: Nice joints there Bob Graemlin , looks like a machine had done them if I didn't know Smile ..............I bet you will be dreaming about them rails at night !

Cheers Mick

The company actually bought notching dies for the iron worker but i never put them in. I said send em back...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
Graemlin

What type of metal is that?

Ed
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2013, 06:45 PM)EdK Wrote: Graemlin

What type of metal is that?

Ed

Just mild steel tacked with .045 gas flux and 75/25 gas with a Miller MM252...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by: EdK