My new Grizzly mini mill
Not sure how to post pics Mill is installed and leveled. What do I need to buy next. I am a complete newbie to milling. All info appreciated.

Regards

d65, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Hi d65 this thread may help answer your question

EDIT: You may wish to start a thread of your own in the mill tooling section, as I just revisited the post I linked to above and it veered off track very quickly, so may not be all that helpful.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
d65,

We need a little more information before we can recommend tooling for your mill. What type of projects are you going to be working on? Knowing that will help in our recommendations.

Go here to learn how to attach pictures. Ask questions if you need more clarification.

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=1006

Ed
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 06:56 AM)EdK Wrote: d65,

We need a little more information before we can recommend tooling for your mill. What type of projects are you going to be working on? Knowing that will help in our recommendations.

Go here to learn how to attach pictures. Ask questions if you need more clarification.

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=1006

Ed

Mainly will be doing gunsmithing projects.

Regards
Thanks given by:
d65,

What type of spindle does that mill have? R8 I assume?
You'll obviously need end mills but not being familiar with the type of work a gunsmith does, I'll leave the size recommendations to the gunsmiths on the this forum. You will need tooling to hold the end mills. Either a collet system or end mill holders, or both. A good quality vise should be at the top of your list. Edge finders are always useful as are DTIs and dial indicators. A clamping kit for you mills will also be necessary. The list goes on so be prepared to spend some money on tooling. Buying the mill is the easy part. 17431

Ed
Thanks given by:
It is a new basic Grizzly mini mill. Uses MT3 collets
Thanks given by:
You might check out what littlemachineshop.com has to offer. I see they have a Mini-mill tooling package for 3MT setups as well as many other "packages" and offerings.

Disclaimer - I've had good experiences buying from them before but I'm not connected to them in any way.

Hope that helps,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
I've used MT 3 collets in my Mill Drill for years and they've served me well. They need a good whack on the drawbar for removal, don't be shy. I've had to make a new one but I've no complaints. I have MT3 fly cutters, boring bars, slitting saw arbours and of course the ubiquitous drill chuck.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
My first mill had an MT-2 spindle and I had no problems using it so you should be just fine using MT-3 tooling. Littlemachineshop.com is a good suggestion since they cater to the mini-lathes and mini-mills.

Ed
Thanks given by:
All my tooling is basically MT3 - guess I'm just old Smiley-signs125
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: