Tractor repair
These well worn spindles come out of I think an Alis Chamers back hoe.
The steering ran on needle bearings that had worn out and trashed the king pin for a better word. Building up the shaft would have left it too soft for a needle bearing so we're going to use brass bushings. The lower bearing surface was 2 inch, it cleaned up at 1.94, the upper bearing surface had to be built up to clear the spline for the steering arm, the spline is worn too.

Cleaned up and sacrificial brass shim stock in place to protect the spline.
[Image: IMG_0896.jpg]

Built up with the mig using .035 wire.

[Image: IMG_0897.jpg]

The bottom of the king pin had a centre hole and I wrapped the threads with brass shim stock to protect them from the jaws.
The spindle coming around was the full of the lathe swing, actually had to loosen the DRO readout and shim it back to clear.
All cleaned up now bushings and tapered pins to tighten up the steering arm splines.

[Image: IMG_0899.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Glad to see you working on AC equipment Greg, they're good pieces of machinery and deserve a guy like you.
The unofficial Allis forum is a great place for info and the thousands of members offer lots of info and experience.
Allis Chalmers
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the link, did a search but found no hits on steering arm repair. Did one like this a few years back, never heard from the guy again so it either worked or he has no faith in me anymore. The spline that locks the arm to the spindle wears, probably due to the nut on top being loose, one the last one I drilled down into the gap and reamed it for tapered pins in three spots. Drive the pin in, cut it off proud and pull the nut tight, should hold.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I bet that was great fun turning that down with the other arm sticking out - must have used ultra low speed I'm sure. One occasion when a tool post grinder would be justified.

Andrew
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Another one of those times a heavy lathe is hard to beat, 200 rpm was about the right speed for HSS. Used carbide on the bottom end, it was hard but had to resort to a shear cutter to get a good finish on the welded up section. Was tight getting in there though, even had to remove the handle on the QCTP, don't think my grinder would fit in there, never thought of trying it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Made the bushings today. The chap Im doing it for had some 2 1/2 solid brass bar. First drilled with my largest bit 1 1/4. Had to reduce the clearance angles, it sure wanted to grab.

[Image: IMG_0902.jpg]

Then turned the OD and bored to size and parted.

[Image: IMG_0903.jpg]

The finished product.

[Image: IMG_0904.jpg]

Now have to pin the spline on the steering arms, wish I could remember how i did the last one.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Nice work Greg
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nice work indeed Greg. I hope the brass holds up for you. I have a round of some fairly hard but unknown grade of bronze that I could cutoff and send you some if you find you need something else.

Just what make, model and size rating is that lathe to able to swing that 90º arm around like that?

BTW, those splines really look as they should also be reworked!
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys,
The brass or bronze Im using is of unknown origin as well, seems quite hard hopefully will wear well. Thanks for the offer.
The lathe is imported by Summit machine in Oklahoma from Poland I believe. 16 inch swing with a 80 inch bed, 6400 lbs, nice fit and finish. spindle has quite a speed range, 20 - 2000 rpm, cuts 1/4 to 60 tip, the 3 inch spindle bore is handy.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Great looking repair job, its awesome having that capability and know how in a shop.

Shawn
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by: