1905 Marlin '94 needs help.
Hi guys. I found this gun cleaning out my dads shop. I found it in 4 different piles of parts. He said he got it from a guy who 50 years ago was hunting and it was raining and turned to snow (typ Ohio weather). Well he shot and the rain in the barrel had froze and now the barrel has some splits. It was chambered in .32-20 I have looked for another barrel for almost 7 months and those that made barrels don't have anymore in stock. So i found a NOS .25 octagon barrel blank on gunbroker.com at a great price. I haven't got it yet but making plans of a .25-20 old lever gun. I can thread it and cut all of the extractor grooves but i have never chambered a lever gun and i don't have reamers or a throat cutter. So i prob will take it to a guy i know and just pay him to make it shoot again. Anyway the gun is rough but the woods real good. Prob just glass bead it and blue it. It will be just a shooter not a show piece. So anyway here's where i am starting...Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
And those pics were taken when i found the first 2 piles of parts. I found the forearm, bolt carrier and lever at a later time. Pile 3 and 4 LOL...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
Looks like a good project Bob.

Chamber reamers can easily be made as a "D" bit if you prefer to do it yourself. The chamber dimensions are available form the SAAMI website.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Nice project Bob.
(And I thought a Marlin was a fish Popcorn)
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(12-15-2013, 06:54 PM)DaveH Wrote: (And I thought a Marlin was a fish Popcorn)
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Marlin made razor blades also :)
I have at least 3 different styles of them ...Bob

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
Well today i mated my breech bolt and the lever back to the receiver, prob a first time in 50 years and i see the lever is bent. Oh well time to straighten it then a good polish...Bob

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
On that barrel, I'd be inclined to press/hammer that split closed and oxy gas or tig weld it closed

Then drill and install a barrel liner

I know they do liners for 22 I don't know about 32, but it's such a low power cartridge I'd look into that as a cheap way to skip a rebarrel and keep it sorta origional.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...27501.aspx
Thanks given by: aametalmaster
I was going to weld the cracks and reline then i saw the barrel was rounded out 360 degrees around the split area. Plus there were 3 splits. Then i found the new blank. The only thing bad is i woudn't have the Marlin writing stamped in the barrel ...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
Rambler automobile Co. also made a Marlin, there version of a Dodge Charger.
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
My buddy has a Marlin car. Everyone thinks its a Dodge. I beat the heck out of the lever and it still doesn't fit right. I am going to make a bending block set up for my shop press and try again...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by: