Centre Gauge
Since most operations done on a lathe require the cutting tool to be set accurately on the centre line of the spindle, it is useful to have a gauge to help with that setup. I found a plate in my stock that can sit on the ways and measures within 0.001" over the whole surface. This gives me a good base on which to place the gauge.

The base is just a disk of 5/8" thick steel that I had picked up at the scrap yard. I faced the bottom, with a recess in the middle to let it sit flat on the reference plate.

The rest of the gauge consists of a rod and a pointer. The pointer is adjusted so that the bottom is even with the centre of the spindle. This surface can then be used to set the cutting edge of the tool. The wooden object to the right is a cradle I made to support the chuck (especially the 10") when putting it on or taking it off the spindle.

Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
This is mine. Not adjustable though.

[Image: IMGP1776_zps979b8685.jpg]
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
I like both of you're ideas, tools (gauges), its worth the time for people who don't have a gauge to make either one. Anything making the set up easier is worth time investment.
Anthony....

PS.. Arbalest....... sexy tangical tool holder, very sleek indeed sir.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Arbalest, I like your gauge. Looks good, easy to use. It wouldn't work on my lathes, though. Neither one has that nice flat area on the back of the carriage.

I spent last evening starting the design for a tangential toolholder for the big lathe. I'll have to take a good look at yours to see if I should tweak mine for easier construction. Smiley-signs107
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Another couple of pics for you then.

[Image: IMGP1711.jpg]

[Image: IMGP1708.jpg]

[Image: IMGP1715.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Arbalest, what are you using to produce that finish. Is it media blasted by any chance?

Andrew
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
I have had good results using tangential toolholders. The only drawback is that their inherent "drop down" makes it difficult (or impossible) to swivel the turret or QCTP.
I've taken to using short tool blanks but being short enough to clear the compound shortens their usable lifespan.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Whilst I've seen Arbalest's tool holder before I am very impressed by the machining and the finish. I keep expecting to see a high price tool manufacturer name or logo on it.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thanks very much for the comments guys. It's just sandblasted with Aluminium Oxide. I then give it a quick coat of Renwax or Lanolin to stop it rusting.
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2013, 07:49 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Whilst I've seen Arbalest's tool holder before I am very impressed by the machining and the finish. I keep expecting to see a high price tool manufacturer name or logo on it.

Smiley-signs009
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: