Wife's Christmas gift
Thanks guys. Right now I'm not real sure I'll be able to finish it in time. I did a lot of hand filing on it today and still have quite a bit to do. Really makes me want a die filer! Might have to add that one to the "future projects list".

I got some of the material in the tail cleared out but it looks a bit rough. I did a couple little "oops" and took off more in spots than I wanted. This is not something I should have been working on while tired. It's not too bad, the pic makes it look much better, and once I'm done I'll probably be the only one to notice.

I decide to make the base round. Chucked it up in the lathe and did some "interrupted cuts". Tomorrow I'll fixture it up in the band saw and cut the square base off of it. Then I'll put it back on the mill and give it a good, even, flat bottom. I did another little screw-up on the lathe and would like to kick myself for it. I had intended to cut a bevel on the upper edge of the base but I forgot and pulled it out anyway. I don't think I could get it back in there "just right" to give an even bevel around the edge.

[Image: crossfish10.JPG]

After I get done filing on it tomorrow I'll hit it with some emory cloth and steel wool.

I'm taking this one down to the wire! Sweat

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
That thing is just BEAUTIFUL!

I see no reason why you couldn't put it back in the lathe and chamfer that top edge of the round base.

Once you've got the base done as you want it, go at it with some fine files to remove the tool marks. Next, take some ScotchBrite pads (available in rotary disks and buff out the file marks. That'll leave a brushed looking finish all over. If you want it shiny, do as I did and polish it in steps with 800, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit emery cloth or silicon carbide sandpaper (the dark grey stuff.) That should only take a few minutes per "grit". When done with that, polish it with a fine polish such as Bon Ami or Bart Keeper's Friend. It'll shine like silver!
Thanks given by:
(12-23-2013, 11:36 PM)PixMan Wrote: That thing is just BEAUTIFUL!

I see no reason why you couldn't put it back in the lathe and chamfer that top edge of the round base.

Once you've got the base done as you want it, go at it with some fine files to remove the tool marks. Next, take some ScotchBrite pads (available in rotary disks and buff out the file marks. That'll leave a brushed looking finish all over. If you want it shiny, do as I did and polish it in steps with 800, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit emery cloth or silicon carbide sandpaper (the dark grey stuff.) That should only take a few minutes per "grit". When done with that, polish it with a fine polish such as Bon Ami or Bart Keeper's Friend. It'll shine like silver!

Thanks PixMan. My worry with putting it back in the lathe to bevel the edge is that I won't get it "just right" and the bevel won't be consistent around the base. Though I may have to give it a try anyway because it bugs me. Blush I like the recommendation of the ScotchBrite pads and will pick some up at the hardware store tomorrow. After I give it to the wife I can ask her if she would like it "shinier" and see which she would prefer.

I'll take some pics before I wrap it up tomorrow night.

Thanks again,

-Ron
Thanks given by:
Ron - it is a piece of art, not a part that has to be within specs. The little blemishes that you see or the fact that the bevel may not be consistent only add to its uniqueness. In fact, an uneven bevel may look good. You may also wish to polish only the outside faces and leave the others more matt, which will add dimension. What I'm trying to say is worry less about the little things and more about the big picture. If your wife points out that the radius is .005" off I'll stand corrected Big Grin

Either way - you are doing a splendid job.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Looking good Ron.

I second Kens recommendation for using ScotchBrite pads on it. The 7447 maroon (not moron) pads will leave a nice luster and cover, or make most imperfections less obvious. You always have the option later to polish it out. A work of caution on hand polishing that I've learned working with guns. Be careful to not round corners in the polishing process. It's easy to blend everything together and lose the intent of the original shape.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2013, 01:52 AM)ScrapMetal Wrote: ... My worry with putting it back in the lathe to bevel the edge is that I won't get it "just right" and the bevel won't be consistent around the base....

-Ron

Ron,

Put it in the 4-jaw chuck and indicate off of the round portion. That should give you a consistent chamfer.

Nice job, by the way. Happyyes

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ron, That is beautiful ThumbsupSmiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2013, 07:08 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Ron - it is a piece of art, not a part that has to be within specs. The little blemishes that you see or the fact that the bevel may not be consistent only add to its uniqueness. In fact, an uneven bevel may look good. You may also wish to polish only the outside faces and leave the others more matt, which will add dimension. What I'm trying to say is worry less about the little things and more about the big picture. If your wife points out that the radius is .005" off I'll stand corrected Big Grin

Either way - you are doing a splendid job.

My wife would never point out any flaws. It's more of my personality ("anal retentive" Blush) to obsess over minutia. That's an interesting idea about different finishes on different surfaces. I'll see how that goes tonight when I'm trying to get it done. Sweat

(12-24-2013, 09:01 AM)TomG Wrote: Looking good Ron.

I second Kens recommendation for using ScotchBrite pads on it. The 7447 maroon (not moron) pads will leave a nice luster and cover, or make most imperfections less obvious. You always have the option later to polish it out. A work of caution on hand polishing that I've learned working with guns. Be careful to not round corners in the polishing process. It's easy to blend everything together and lose the intent of the original shape.

Tom

Yep, picked up some of the moron pads (Hey, this is me! Slaphead) and will, if you pardon the pun, give it a whirl. The hardware store didn't have much to choose from so I've got a couple of the six inch "wheels", one for contours and one for flats. If it comes to worst I can just use them by hand.

Let's not talk about "rounding corners". I made that mistake some years ago with an octagonal black powder pistol barrel. The whole mess is still sitting in my "unfinished projects" pile until I recover from the shame and figure out how I'm going to salvage it.

I'll be very careful. Sweat

(12-24-2013, 11:04 AM)EdK Wrote: Ron,

Put it in the 4-jaw chuck and indicate off of the round portion. That should give you a consistent chamfer.

Nice job, by the way. Happyyes

Ed

Actually Ed it was one of those "Doh!" moments. It actually turned out to be the easiest setup I've ever done on the lathe. With the square sides held in the jaws and the rounded portion to indicate off of it was a real breeze to center (just as you suggest).

(12-24-2013, 01:40 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ron, That is beautiful ThumbsupSmiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Once again, thanks guys. I appreciate all the advice and comments. This one really gave a jolt to my learning curve and about the only tool in the shop I didn't use was my boring bar (and "NO" it doesn't need any holes Bleh Big Grin).

I got it beveled and I had a nice little session with a bandsaw and spray bottle of WD-40. The cut ended up so smooth it doesn't need any other kind of finish. Big surprise/plus there!

It still needs to be squared off inside the cross a bit. I did pick up a couple of carbide Dremel tips to facilitate that so I don't think it will take too long. The rest will be the finish work.

[Image: crossfish11.JPG]

Now, as long as I don't end up mauling it with the Dremel tool all will be good.

The next pic you see should be it finished as I'm just about out of time here. Sweat Nothing like pushing a project to the last seconds. Big Grin

Thanks again and Merry Christmas guys!

-Ron
Thanks given by:
Ron,

If your wife doesn't like it, send it to me. I think it's turning out real good. Thumbsup

On a side note, did Greg make that table top for you. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi Ron , nice job there , I am sure your wife will love it and remember to tell her its romantic to make a gift Big Grin as us blokes dont always get the romantic credit we deserve Rotfl
I was in the same situation last year sanding a wooden cabinet I had made and waxing it till almost midnight..........she did love it and to this day nothing has been put in the chest and woe betide anyone that puts anything on top of it unless its been officially approved by her lol

Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by: