Tangential Toolholder
(12-27-2013, 11:43 AM)Hawkeye Wrote: I suppose you could make it like a machinist's jack, with the underside of the bolt head trued up and a good jam nut to lock it. That would make the initial setup a bit easier.

Smiley-signs009 I've seen them made that way.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2013, 06:37 AM)Arbalest Wrote: Glad you liked it Graham. It's takes a little care to get it spot-on but once made saves a lot of time.

You might want to recess the base a little to help ensure it stands flat:

[Image: IMGP2128_zpsfcbd6207.jpg]

It's not just another height setting guage is it ?? a recess in the base, polished body & the turned slot looks like it's sandblasted & the corners nicely machined off!! yes I like quality!! 6799
Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Graham, yes it's selectively sandblasted. If I remember correctly it's some unknown grade stainless from the scrap bin.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Having now made 4 of various designs I am experimenting with the sharpening fixture angle. 20' works well on mild steel and aluminium. The tip of the 30' version ( that's the bit from the jig which angles the bit up at 30' to horizontal) although sharper doesn't seem to be any better on aluminium which surprised me. On steel it definitely chattered more (visible on the finish).

I copied Arbalest with a clamp for both of the sharpening jigs I've made as it got a bit hot to hold rather too quickly for me ( too impatient!)

Regards Ian
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2013, 11:43 AM)Hawkeye Wrote: I suppose you could make it like a machinist's jack, with the underside of the bolt head trued up and a good jam nut to lock it. That would make the initial setup a bit easier.
Guys, Guys
Just to deviate a bit from the original thread, and do please overlook the intrusion, here's my idea of what Hawkeye 'maybe' referring to.....
U can see the centering tool still in the chuck and the height Guage has been used for additional check backs and making a note for future projects !!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
One thing I've been thinking of experimenting with is an adjustable "chip breaker".

I don't like stringy swarf so it's something I'd like to do, unless someone else wants to give it a try and report back? Lots of pictures and a video would be good...  Big Grin
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by: