Carriage Stop Project Tutorial
I finally got around to posting a few videos on building an Atlas micrometer carriage stop. Although this stop is designed for the Atlas, the body and clamping plate can easily be re-designed to fit most any small lathe. I know of a few that have been built for the Atlas and a couple for other lathes as well. I classified this project tutorial as intermediate because of the graduations and numbers on the dial. These first videos cover machining the body.

Atlas Micrometer Carriage Stop

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom,
I've watched a number of your videos and caught the first three for this project the other day (all good stuff!) I've got the stop plan downloaded and I'm ready to give this project a try. Thank you for taking the time to share.
-Ryan
Smudgemo, proud to be a human since 1967.
Flickr Fotos
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ryan.

I just uploaded the last of the videos on the body and this one has a little bit of everything. I discuss heat treating drill rod to make the tool for cutting the index mark, throw in a surprise trig lesson and the milling of the notches to align the stop to the ways. The drawings for this stop have been bouncing around the internet for a while now and I know a few of them have been made. This latest revision has a few improvements that should make it more useful.

Next in line is the spindle, unless I change my mind. Big Grin

Tom
Thanks given by:
Tom,

I have been following along with your carriage stop videos. I haven't been making one because I have one I purchased a while back but I have been learning a great deal watching you make it. You mentioned in the knurling video that you are considering a clamp style knurler as a future project. That is a project I would really like to follow and make.

Your videos are really great. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Jamie
12" Atlas Lathe  - Rockwell 21-100 Vertical Mill - Burke #4 Horizontal Mill
Thanks given by:
Thanks Jamie,

The response to the knurler I used in the video was impressive, so I guess that will be the next project. Dallen, another member on this forum made one a few months back from my description and a few pics. You may want to check his out in the project section.

Glad you are enjoying the videos.

Tom
Thanks given by: jroadman
anyway to put say a lexan cover over the thimble so that chips don't get hung up between it and the body?
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
David,

I think Ed did that on his. Another option would be to make the body a little bigger and the notch for the thimble deeper to get more clearance.

Tom
Thanks given by:
I installed a temporary fix using a piece of a plastic milk bottle to cover that area to keep the chips out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a permanent solution.

Ed
Thanks given by: