Quick Change Toolpost for Storebro
(01-05-2014, 09:46 PM)Hawkeye Wrote: I spent some time this week trying to find some bar stock big enough to mill one long dovetail section that I could then cut into individual toolholders. My usual scrap yard was closed, so I tried the Other One. No joy there. I tried several metalworking shops, but none had anything close to what I need. I figured I'd make a few the 'hard' way - one at a time.

I have some 2" and 1 3/4" square bar, so I cut about 4" of 1 3/4". Squared off the ends and used a 3/4" x 6" cutter in the U2 to step down on either side of the dovetail. I tried the shaper to rough out the undercuts but had some trouble and went back to the vertical mill. Cutting dovetails with a single-insert carbide is quite slow.

I finally got the dovetails to a slip fit into both of the slots on the toolpost. The clamp worked very well.

Next, I milled the slot between the dovetails for the height-adjustment pin, then drilled for the adjusting screw. Almost had the hole tapped all the way through when my nice spiral-flute tap broke off.

Two days work shot. This piece will have to wait until I build a spark-erosion EDM machine. There's nearly 3/4" of good-quality tap in the hole.

Mike

I use a die grinder or Dremel tool with a diamond bit (Cone point or tree type point) and carefully wear away the centre section of the tap until I can break out the rest with a prick punch. Rarely have I ever had a tap that will not succumb to this treatment.

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Quick Change Toolpost for Storebro - by Hawkeye - 12-31-2013, 12:46 AM
RE: Quick Change Toolpost for Storebro - by TomG - 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
RE: Quick Change Toolpost for Storebro - by Shawn - 01-01-2014, 05:42 AM
RE: Quick Change Toolpost for Storebro - by EdK - 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
RE: Quick Change Toolpost for Storebro - by starlight_tools - 01-06-2014, 12:03 AM
RE: Quick Change Toolpost for Storebro - by Shawn - 01-19-2014, 03:23 AM