Newly introduced Grizzly mill/drill G0759.
I'm planning on getting a new mill this Summer so I'm researching stuff now. I just got the 2014 Grizzly catalog in the mail. They're now offering the G0759. From what I can tell it's the G0704 with built-in DRO. I have been considering the G0704 already, adding built-in 3 axis DRO for 500.00 seems like a good deal, but I don't know enough about DRO systems to say wether it is or isn't. I know there's different kinds of DRO systems, some better than others. The specs don't say what's being used ( Glass scales?) and the pictures seem to show 2 different displays. One says es-17 and looks like it's probably an Eason DRO pro of some sort.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/G0759

Can anybody tell from the picts what's being used?
Any other thoughts or suggestions?
If I call Grizzly, what questions should I ask?

Also in case I haven't said this before, I really want to thank you guys for all the help offered here. I probably don't contribute enough here, but then again there is a lot more experience and wisdom than I can offer. So again thanks guys. I appreciate it more than you know.
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by:
marfaguy,

The only concern I'd have with that mill is the 2" spindle travel. That's kind of limiting.

What type of projects to you expect to do with this mill? That might help us give more informed advise.

And don't worry about the amount of contributions. Contribute what and when you feel comfortable. There is no pressure to post here.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2014, 12:25 PM)EdK Wrote: marfaguy,

The only concern I'd have with that mill is the 2" spindle travel. That's kind of limiting.

What type of projects to you expect to do with this mill? That might help us give more informed advise.

And don't worry about the amount of contributions. Contribute what and when you feel comfortable. There is no pressure to post here.

Ed

Hi Ed.
2" spindle travel shouldn't be a problem. This is mostly hobby, light work around the house usage. Some model engine work.
2" spindle travel doesn't preclude me from working deeper does it? I can always just lower the head, no?
My current mini mill doesn't have any spindle travel at all. It works fine but I'm looking for more x-y travel (along with more room under the head).
Thanks given by:
To me it looks like a very nice solid mill. Using as you say light work and model work it should be perfect.

As for the DRO's sorry can't help there, only to say they must be of reasonable quality. The last thing any company wants is for the "stuff" to keep coming back.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2014, 12:41 PM)marfaguy Wrote: ...
2" spindle travel doesn't preclude me from working deeper does it? I can always just lower the head, no?

It depends on what sort of accuracy you need. If you need to bore or drill a 3" deep hole you would have to bore/drill 2" and then lower the head and lock it and then finish up the last 1". There's always going to be a tolerance involved when you lower the head and lock it and start re-boring/re-drilling. If you can live with that tolerance then it shouldn't be a problem.

Ed
Thanks given by:
If you use that mill for what it's engineered to do, it should suffice.

Only you can make the determination of what will suffice though.

For small, fit in your hand type parts, it's probably a decent machine. Anything bigger and you may run into problems and start running out of room to move around on your table.

If you have a rotary phase converter, you may be better off buying an older knee mill with the money they are asking for that machine. It would give nearly limitless options with what you can do on it, whereas that Grizzly may leave you with the feeling you wish it were just a "leetle" bit bigger!

What ever you decide, good luck, and be sure to take plenty of pictures!!

Best Regards,
Russ
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2014, 11:59 AM)marfaguy Wrote: .... I have been considering the G0704 already, adding built-in 3 axis DRO for 500.00 seems like a good deal, but I don't know enough about DRO systems to say wether it is or isn't. I know there's different kinds of DRO systems, some better than others. The specs don't say what's being used ( Glass scales?) and the pictures seem to show 2 different displays. One says es-17 and looks like it's probably an Eason DRO pro of some sort.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/G0759

Can anybody tell from the picts what's being used?
Any other thoughts or suggestions?
If I call Grizzly, what questions should I ask?

I would guess that the DRO is an Easson unit custom built to Grizzly's price point. My questions to them would be:
1) What is the warranty on the DRO unit? (1 year?)
2) Who provides the warranty service? (Grizzly or the manufacturer in China?)
Willie
Thanks given by:
I have a G0704 and I installed a couple of AccuRemote scales (supposed to be a step up from the iGauging units?) on it. I think they were under $100 together, and they seem fairly accurate, at least over shorter distances. The whole setup is fine, but I wanted something heavier so I bought a knee mill. It's a fine mill to start with, though.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as an option to a full-blown dro.

-Ryan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Smudgemo, proud to be a human since 1967.
Flickr Fotos
Thanks given by:
Well it’s been almost a year since I took delivery of my G0759. I’ve come to really like this mill. 

The fit and finish is quite good. I really like the way the glass scales are mounted and protected. 
The only thing I think is badly designed is the X axis gib lock screws. 
If you don’t pay attention to which way adjustment handle is pointing you can bend the locking screws. 

The DRO is very accurate. It reads to a resolution of .0002” and is very repeatable. 
In some materials, maybe most, I think the .0002” resolution would get overwhelmed by vibration. 
For what I do .0002” is a tolerance I don’t need to hit anyway so I’m not very concerned. 
Set up was very easy, the cables clearly labeled and intelligently secured at the factory. 
It was pretty much plug and play. 
The stand is adequate but did require a bit of shimming but that wasn’t unexpected. 
The instruction manual was more of an addendum to the G0704 manual which is reasonable since the 
G0709 IS a G0704 but with factory installed DRO. 

Just for grins I partially surfaced a horizontal face ( I tried this with both Aluminum and steel), 
then raised and reset the tool with the DRO to the same Z height and did the rest of the surface. 
I could not feel or detect a difference between the 2 sides with a DTI or my finger. 

Some time a ago I made this http://swarfrat.com/MillSpindleCenteringScope.htm which if made correctly, and mine is, is very accurate.
I’ve used my height gauge to establish an exact center line through a piece. 
Then used my Mitutoyo edge finder plus the 1/2 function of the DRO to set center line. According to my Spindle centering scope they are in agreement as close as I can measure. I’ve tested this with both the X and Y axis. 

For those who might be familiar with older versions of the G0704 that this unit is based on, there is no need for the 3 bolt mod as described here,
http://www.projectsinmetal.com/forum/gen...g-machine/
Thanks given by: