Whitworth Thread on a M24/47
Lets beat this horse some more... what class of fit should a mauser barrel Whitworth thread be?
tighten tournique, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Common sense tells me it should be a good fit with no slop screwing on like with any gun regardless of the brand...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
aametalmaster,

You and I are close to the same. I'm sporterizing a Turkish Mauser this winter and I have a 62 Galaxie 500XL that's been sitting in the garage for the last 7 years. It gets maybe 100 miles a year on it.

Bob

(12-28-2013, 05:56 AM)aametalmaster Wrote:
(12-27-2013, 10:57 PM)tighten tournique Wrote: Are you smithing them or are you the proud owner? I am afraid this is going to turn out like collecting old cars.

I am just the owner that happen to have a machine shop and some knowledge how to use it that likes guns and old cars. I have a '64 Ford Fairlane that hasn't been out of the garage for 24 years 6 months and 4 days...Bob
Thanks given by:
This has been gone over real good over on MauserCentral. Accuracy wise they say you want the threads to be loose, that way the barrel snugs up against the front of the receiver evenly. I can see that train of thought, but too what degree of looseness?

Bob

(01-02-2014, 04:17 AM)aametalmaster Wrote: Common sense tells me it should be a good fit with no slop screwing on like with any gun regardless of the brand...Bob
Thanks given by:
Well if what I am reading on the net is correct the Whitworth threads are not self-sealing and so the snug face fit is essential...thread tape or gasket/o rings are recommended in all gas or liquid application...not an option here...
The praises given to this thread style are akin to the acme in the load transmission.... I never would have believed the subtleties of threading....beginning to understand why tubalcain devoted so many videos on the subject
tighten tournique, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by: