workshop comforts!!
    Happy new year everyone!! a bit late but I've been busy building a rocket stove for the workshop,I first made a wood burner made from an air brake tank from a waggon about 30 yrs ago & it did me well,then I got a ''crane'' stove from a council house in dormanstown, it had a back boiler so I rigged it up with a pump & header tank & 2 old tractor radiators with fans behind & it did me till I got a few leaks & it peed me off plus the room they took up & that went the journey, next was a cast iron pot belly which has done me for the last few years,then I got interested in rocket stoves,so I built this one & the pot belly went the journey, I effin love it,in fact it's so fascinating that I often sit in front of it reading & listening to folk music instead of working,it cosumes it's own smoke, uses a lot less wood,warms up really fast & I stand a fan on the top when it's up to full heat & as well as the radiated heat it blasts out like an electric fan heater[without the cost!!]
Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
Very nice
I need to visit you for a warm up DroolDroolDrool
John
Thanks given by:
Nice job.

That would be a great place to set a hot air engine powered fan.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Interesting - I've never heard of a rocket stove. I have an old pot belly in the shop at my Mum's but it is getting see through in a few places and is on its last legs.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-21-2014, 06:33 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Very nice
I need to visit you for a warm up DroolDroolDrool
John

ha ha you know you're welcome anytime John, if you look closely there's some sash weights to the right of the stove, they're fixed with bowden cable via a pully to the drilling machine table,it's a 10 speed meddings but hasn't got rack & pinion to the table so the weights balance it out.
Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
(01-21-2014, 08:38 PM)TomG Wrote: Nice job.

That would be a great place to set a hot air engine powered fan.

Tom

Well that's funny you should mention that Tom 'cos I'm going to build one for it [eventually]
Graham
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2014, 07:46 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Interesting - I've never heard of a rocket stove. I have an old pot belly in the shop at my Mum's but it is getting see through in a few places and is on its last legs.
Well you won't need one in perth just now mayhem,my daughter who lives in joondalup recons it's 40 odd c at present!! we're going there in april for a month, I'm no expert on rocket stoves so I surfed the net for all the info I could find till I found one that suited my & I more or less copied it with with a few mod's to suit myself, the best part is it doesn't use a lot of fuel, the burn chamber gets so hot[glows red] it burns all it's own smoke & it starts heating straight away, the only downside is that you have to feed it little & often but I wouldn't go back to a pot belly now,this is far superior, I love it.
Graham.
Thanks given by:
My workshop comforts:

[Image: IMG_0103_1.jpg]

Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2014, 08:21 PM)PixMan Wrote: My workshop comforts:

[Image: IMG_0103_1.jpg]

Big Grin

Macallan.. Drool superb stuff but damned expensive over here, might get a bottle for my birthday this year..5176

Cheers
George.
George

mechman48, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 2013.
Thanks given by:
I only saw the stogies Ken - did my visit drive you to drink?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: