Collet question
I know I need to get some collets for the planned mill purchase. I don't see any note that the drawbar comes with either the mill or the collets. Do I have to purchase the drawbar seperate? The milling setup that I bought for my lathe had only one size end mill shaft and they all fit one piece that was mounted in the head stock spindle and held in with a drawbar but the drawbar came with the piece that holds the end mills.
Ben Franklin;
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Thanks given by:
Your mill should come with a drawbar. They usually come with a drill chuck and arbor so they include the drawbar so you can make use of that.

Ed

EDIT: it does come with a drawbar according to the manual.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1007_m.pdf
Thanks given by:
if it was me and no I don't have anything to do with wholesale tool's and have my own thoughts on them, but you may want to run over to the store there in Houston and see what they have that way if you have problems their there in your backyard.

just my two bits worth

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(01-29-2014, 06:56 PM)EdK Wrote: Your mill should come with a drawbar. They usually come with a drill chuck and arbor so they include the drawbar so you can make use of that.

Ed

EDIT: it does come with a drawbar according to the manual.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1007_m.pdf

Thanks for the reply. It did come to me to go back and read more of the manual and such. I could have saved the question.
Ben Franklin;
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Thanks given by:
My knee mill came with a drawbar but I binned it as it didn't fit the collets I already had. I just use a piece of threaded rod with a nut on the end. I should make a better one really as you can make morse taper collets self extracting if you use two different threads and tap the top of the quill.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
I ordered the Grizzly mill and it is on the way. I hope the truck driver will unload the thing with a pallet jack and let me roll it in the garage. The instructions on the shipping document makes the delivery sound a bit unfriendly and unhelpful. They know they are delivering to a residence and not all that many folks have pallet jacks or fork lifts to move a heavy object from the driveway to the garage. I even paid extra for lift gate service because I sure do not have a loading dock for a big semi to back up to. I bought a big screen tv mail order last year from Costco and they sent it by a trucking company and two guys hopped out of the truck, carried it inside and uncrated it and put the base on it no extra charge. Maybe that is special service for Costco customers.
Ben Franklin;

Thanks given by:
I moved my mill drill (many yrs. ago) with a P handle truck like this.

I lowered the head as much as possible and ratchet strapped it to the cart.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
They should move it into your garage for you. Everything I've had delivered by truck was pallet jacked into my garage without me lifting a finger. That includes my 14x40 lathe and Enco RF-45 clone mill. The fine print says the driver only needs to get the item down to the street level and then it's up to you to get it moved into your garage but most of them will put it in your garage for you. I tipped the driver $20 for doing it each time since he went above and beyond his responsibility, and I had no way of getting it into my garage on my own.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2014, 09:22 AM)EdK Wrote: They should move it into your garage for you. Everything I've had delivered by truck was pallet jacked into my garage without me lifting a finger. That includes my 14x40 lathe and Enco RF-45 clone mill. The fine print says the driver only needs to get the item down to the street level and then it's up to you to get it moved into your garage but most of them will put it in your garage for you. I tipped the driver $20 for doing it each time since he went above and beyond his responsibility, and I had no way of getting it into my garage on my own.

Ed

The mill has arrived and the Saia driver was a very nice guy. He rolled the crate off the tail gate and into the garage without me even asking. This is the second time I have had good service from Saia and if I need shipping in the future I will try to use them if I am allowed to choose. I would have given the guy some cash but I forgot to get any and I had two dollars in my pocket and I think that would have been worse than nothing. I got a set of collets a vise and some other small items to use with the mill.

I am going to set in on my workbench but I had to extend it further out from the wall as it was not deep enough. I am still working on getting some equipment to lift it onto the workbench.
Ben Franklin;

Thanks given by: