It only took me 15 months...
Awesome! Ok, well in looking through the tools I realized that one of the QCTP holders had a turning tool (is that right?) in it. I tested it on this really crap piece of stainless that was in my gun safe that I don't need. Seems to work well enough. That video is super helpful though! I need to get a bench grinder so I can grind my own tools! I have a barrel that could be smoothed out. Although I may just do that with some sand paper then emery cloth.
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hello scruffy here
I'm really green to all this but going to a ac tool post on my Logan 820 was the best thing I did...it's a lot easier to grt your tool height and angles set with the ac.
Just seems to be too many parts an pieces to hold in place when tightening.
Just my 2 cents, really only a cent and a half
Scruffy
Scruffy, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2014.
Thanks given by:
Thanks! lol Luckily I did find those other holders so I can use them.
Thanks given by:
(02-24-2014, 06:13 AM)Mayhem Wrote: To the left of the drill chucks is a boring bar holder that replaces the lantern holder (or on your case the QCTP). Personally, I'd make a set of sleeves so that you can use smaller type bars in the number 4 QCTP holder. If you have a number 2 QCTP holder, it will have a v-groove running along the length of the bottom of the tool slot, so you can hold round bars.

I'm sure you have a handle on the rest of the items.

I guess I have a number 2 QCTP because I have at least one with the V-groove running along the length of the bottom. I thought that maybe it was for putting the tool at an angle for some reason Rotfl

I was looking at Tools4Cheap and how do I know what size QCTP I have? I had no idea there were like 6 different sizes lol. I'm such a newb!

EDIT: Looks like I have the 100 series, which I'm guessing were actually bought at T4C after looking at the site. Thanks for all the of the assistance!
Thanks given by:
The 100 series is equivalent to the AXA size QCTP. The tool holder number indicates its intended use. The #1 is for turning/facing/external threading tools. The #2 is for turning/facing tools and boring bars/internal threading tools. The #4 is for boring bars/external threading tools. The #7 is for parting blades etc.

It seems a lot to take in at first but remember that we were all newbie's at one time. I still am! It gets easier to remember things and also think them through to be able to problem solve with time and practice. Remember back to your basic EOD training and you will probably wonder how the hell you got home in one piece, let alone save lives out in the field.

Just remember one thing - there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Oh I know that once I start using the tools I will remember what they all are. Practice makes perfect, or something to close to it, right?
Thanks given by:
That funky looking micrometer with the indicator on the frame is...wait for it...an indicating micrometer. They are used in production to inspect parts to see if they are within the specified tolerance.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Ah ok. My brother (who is a Mechanical Engineer) was telling me that it can be used to measure run out as well. I think he expected me to use it for that more than anything with reloading. Although I'm not sure. He bought it for me and it looks to be nice piece.
Thanks given by: