It only took me 15 months...
Looking good SnailPowered. Be sure to test the lathe bed for twist.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(02-10-2014, 06:33 AM)EdK Wrote: Welcome back Snailpowered! What lathe did you end up getting?

Ed

It's a 1945 Craftsman 12x24 and I believe it is actually the deluxe model. It is in really good shape as far as I can tell. All of the factory covers are still in place and there is only one spot on the ways that look like something banged into it once. It's on the edge pretty far toward the tail stock. I am getting into the books that some members here and over at Weapons Guild sent me and also watching videos on YouTube and a couple I got from another guy to figure out what in the world I'm doing with it. So far I am just tickled pink with it.

It has a quick change tool holder and I was wondering what the tool on it currently is meant for. I will attach a picture!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
(02-22-2014, 09:30 AM)EdK Wrote: Looking good SnailPowered. Be sure to test the lathe bed for twist.

Ed

How exactly do you do that? LOL I figured if I use the level on each end and it is level then it should not be twisted right?
Thanks given by:
(02-22-2014, 10:02 AM)SnailPowered Wrote:
(02-10-2014, 06:33 AM)EdK Wrote: Welcome back Snailpowered! What lathe did you end up getting?

Ed

It's a 1945 Craftsman 12x24 and I believe it is actually the deluxe model. It is in really good shape as far as I can tell. All of the factory covers are still in place and there is only one spot on the ways that look like something banged into it once. It's on the edge pretty far toward the tail stock. I am getting into the books that some members here and over at Weapons Guild sent me and also watching videos on YouTube and a couple I got from another guy to figure out what in the world I'm doing with it. So far I am just tickled pink with it.

It has a quick change tool holder and I was wondering what the tool on it currently is meant for. I will attach a picture!

parting tool
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Cool, thanks!
Thanks given by:
Snail, ya, dallen's right.
You may notice that the cutting tool is on a slant, it's been a major bugaboo of mine. When you get the tool adjusted to the right center height and then you move it in or out of the toolholder for more or less projection (as in parting of a ½" rod and then a 1" tube} you loose the center height.
As vowed previously I'll be making a level (not angled) parting toolholder as weather warms up in the shop.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Well I got a lot done today while my fiancee was at work. Between two runs to Harbor Freight (Loews didn't have an oil can) and hanging out with my friends I really feel like I got a lot accomplished. The light fixture isn't the greatest but because I'm renting I'm limited on what I can do. There are also more tools in the three drawers below the cabinet but I'm still working on organizing what is there. There is storage space under the bench that I need to get some "drawers" for. Probably plastic bins.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
So, I understand the quick change tool post is really handy but so far it looks like there is only one and I think I'm going to switch it out for the lantern tool post since I have several attachments for it. You can't see them very well but they're on the left hand side of the cabinet. I'm really excited to be able to make something useful!
Thanks given by:
Personally - I'd buy some holders for your QCTP, as they are much more rigid than the lantern type and much easier to set up and switch tools.

Tools4Cheap is where I get my holders from. You can get cheaper but the quality may not be as good.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
CDCO Tools is another place to get the tool holders from. I don't have any experience with the Tools4cheap tool holders myself, but they are supposedly of a little better quality. The CDCO Tools version will need some TLC to make them usable, mainly heavy deburring and replacing the screws with a known good brand. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by: