It only took me 15 months...
I see a milling attachment and follower rest in that box.. The whole shebang!

Leveling a lathe - it means setting it up so it cuts straight, without any taper. Lots of info around. I like to use Google in this manner: site:metalworkingfun.com leveling

Thank you for your service!
Thanks given by:
(02-23-2014, 09:33 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: ...I like to use Google in this manner: site:metalworkingfun.com leveling...

Finally - a decent way to search this site Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009
Thanks given by:
(02-23-2014, 09:33 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: I see a milling attachment and follower rest in that box.. The whole shebang!

Leveling a lathe - it means setting it up so it cuts straight, without any taper. Lots of info around. I like to use Google in this manner: site:metalworkingfun.com leveling

Thank you for your service!

Well I read what everyone suggested for Wong and as far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be in twist in the bed. I set my level in four different spots along the bed and they're all the same.

How I did it was that I put all thread through the mounting holes that I drilled in the table to lift the lathe off the actual bench because it isn't flat. I adjusted the level of the lathe by moving the nuts up or down accordingly. I had a piece of board underneath the lathe so that I had a flat surface and then I packed the space with dry-pack (2.5 parts sand, 1 part concrete and just enough water so that you can make balls out of it). I wrapped saran wrap around the board so that it wouldn't soak up the water from the concrete and then waited about 5 days for it to dry. Once dry I pulled the lathe off, pulled the board out, put the lathe back in and then checked the level again and shimmed accordingly.

I need to get some metal stock to actually work with to make sure that I don't have taper. I believe that it is good though.
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
In post #8 you can see the lathe supported on the all thread with the board underneath. It isn't a good picture and I guess I didn't get any pictures with the saran wrap on there but It's easy enough to picture saran wrap around the lathe in that configuration.
Thanks given by:
Here are some more pictures of the tooling. No idea what the majority of stuff is so I am going through my books to learn. Starting with Atlas' Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables but I have quite a few others thanks to members here!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(02-23-2014, 07:30 PM)SnailPowered Wrote: Here are some more pictures of the tooling. No idea what the majority of stuff is so I am going through my books to learn...

The little thing with the yellow plastic handle at the bottom of the second picture is a screwdriver. More specifically, a flat blade screwdriver.
Thanks given by:
Seriously - In that second picture I see you have found the other QCTP holders.

To the right of them is a v-centre, which is used to drill a hole through a piece of round stock. It is placed in the tailstock and the drill placed in the (spindle) chuck. You hold the tube in the v whilst extending the tailstock ram toward the headstock.

To the left of the drill chucks is a boring bar holder that replaces the lantern holder (or on your case the QCTP). Personally, I'd make a set of sleeves so that you can use smaller type bars in the number 4 QCTP holder. If you have a number 2 QCTP holder, it will have a v-groove running along the length of the bottom of the tool slot, so you can hold round bars.

I'm sure you have a handle on the rest of the items.
Thanks given by:
(02-24-2014, 06:13 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I'm sure you have a handle on the rest of the items.

I didn't know what the boring bar was for but I guess it is for making fairly large holes in something, like bigger than drill bit size. I have one of those and a myriad of cutting tools but I need to figure out what the cutting tools are for. There is also what looks like cutting tool stock that needs ground to be turned into a tool which is awesome. There is one tool holder that looks like it goes on the part of the QCTP that is in the middle of the lathe. Then I have one with what I figure is a turning tool. There is also a knurling attachment for the QCTP which is awesome. I'm hoping my dad will come out this weekend because he knows what this stuff is and that's a lot faster than working my way through the book, although I'm still going to read everything I have. It has been many years since my dad used a lathe as far as I know.

Thanks for all the help in pointing out what things are, yes, I do know what most simple hand tools are Rotfl I have been fixing my own vehicles since my first one, a 1978 VW Van. It is the lathe specific tools that I'm not sure what they are. Thank God for books and all the wonderful people that sent them to me! Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Check out Tom's video's on grinding HSS tools
Thanks given by: