New studs for lathe gear cover - Ed knows...
Cheated! :).
Never cut threads on this lathe, too lazy to mess with the gears.
Have used a 1" dia. 7075 round Al stock and measured the distance from the lathe to the cover. Also included the collar into the cover hole. Drilled and tapped both ends and used studs.
_____
\____
|
____|
_____/

Also should know that the holes in the lathe head are 7/16-14 and the threads at the other end on the stud are 3/8-16. The hardest part is measuring, cutting, repeat till you get the distance wanted. Since the round holed in the cover are .500" and the studs ends are 3/8" you have 1/8" gap for the cover to rattle.
Yes, you can make the whole stud 7/16" and find new knobs for the cover to hold it in place but too complicated and $$$. Also did not want the cover to rest on the threads and chatter on the studs, best way is Al with a flange for the cover holes that fits perfect and is holding much better.
Now about my CLC (clean lathe compulsion)....
The lathe bottom and back panel are covered with plastic sheets with towels over to catch swarf. Cleaning is 5 min of just removing the plastic and a light air blow. At the end looks like now!
Love the 6 jaw Bison head, very precise and easy on the material. If I need 3 jaws (some times) I remove the other 3 jaws and all good.
Kaoma, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: New studs for lathe gear cover - Ed knows... - by Kaoma - 02-14-2014, 12:42 PM