Jones & Shipman
I posted this in my intro, I was given this grinder about 6 years ago. I don't use it much but when I need it it is here.

I was looking for a extra wheel hub for it and they wanted over 200.00 for one. But I got lucky and got one off ebay from a guy in England for 60.00 with shipping.

Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Old Iron`, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2014.
Thanks given by:
Nice ol' machine! You've got one of the very few non-Asian machines that seems to have the elevation handwheel at the lower right rather than up high above the grinding wheel. My Kent is like that, but yours seems far lower. It looks like you might have to hunch over or just sit down to be able to reach both the elevation handwheel and the table reciprocation.

I know the reputation of the Jones & Shipman machines. Very high quality.
Thanks given by:
J&S 540 was pretty standard equipment in many workshops in the UK. I have the same model. There were many variants, including power elevation, higher frame giving more daylight, and auto down feed. They also come with either plain or roller head bearings. Like your's mine has none of the bells and whistles :(
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Great machine, wish I had one.
What's the bar that seems like it's chained to the top of the machine?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
It is threaded though the lifting eyes that are screwed into the upper frame so I presume it's still there from moving the grinder into the workshop
Thanks given by:
I left the pipe there so I can move it when there is room in my other shop. It does have a power down feed but the is a broken gear thats built with the shaft and theres know fixing that.

Anyway it is a nice machine but it still needs some more attention, Just so much one man can do.

I had to rewire it the off on switch didn't work and they added a big switch on the front. I repaired the switch and cleaned up the wiring.

Paul
Thanks given by:
Often you find that the ' X axis long travel' hydraulic cylinder rod is bent when these turn up from people not used to moving them. The moving table just sits on it's ways by gravity, with the body of the cylinder fixed to the base, and the rod extending to both ends of the table. Some bozo comes along and tries to lift the machine with forks under the table and just bends the rod :(

Rods are available but at a high price.
Thanks given by:
(02-16-2014, 06:22 PM)Old Iron` Wrote: the is a broken gear thats built with the shaft and theres know fixing that. Paul
I'd be curious to know why not. Chin
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Turn the gear off the shaft, peg new gear back on, be liberal with loctite
Thanks given by:
I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow, The gear and the shaft are hardened.

And thats the reason I didn't want to get into it.But then the dogs were hard to but I silver solder them so maybe there mite be a fix.

Paul
Thanks given by: