parting off tool holder
hi well i did most of this at work as i don't have a mill yet i had sum then i was given sum more small parting off blades so decided to mack a holder for them i got a lump of steel from work and milled it to 55 x 55 x 55 mm then milled out a 10mm deep by 8mm in from the face this will be for the top blade clamp i then set the block up on a surface grinder to grind the block so that when the blade is in place it will be siting up strate as most blades cum pr ground to form a v then i got sum 3mm thick by 110 long by 20mm deep gage plate and ground one edge to match the angle on the top and bottom of the parting off blade i then cut it in two the one for the bottom was then cut to 55mm long by 8mm in height then it was divided by three then drilled and countersunk for m3 screws the same was dun for the top and the top was all so drilled for m5 cap heads then the back of the tool holder was milled out to fit me tool holder right pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Graemlin Very neat Bob , that should help with your lathe tooling , you will have to get them other tool holders all sorted out Smile and you will be wondering how you ever managed before you had them Smiley-dancenana

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
I had several of the commercially made ones like that, but sold them off in favor of the ones with the integral dovetail for my QCTP. That keeps the blade closer to the post and reduces overhang, making for a more sturdy tool.

If you ever make another, consider making one as I described, and pick up a dovetail style cutter to make the lower seat for the blade integral in solid material as "non detachable." Also, if making the same clamping style, the goal should be to have the top of the blade co-planar with the top of the clamping surface.

Nice work for the HSS blades though, and that's good enough!
Thanks given by:
I like that, Bob. I'll have to adapt that clamp to one for my QCTP.

Thanks for sharing.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
well mark 2 is on the way i find that the qctp flexes so the next one will go strata on to the top slide
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
For reference, here's an end view of one on my integral dovetail mount ones, and a "group shot".

[Image: photobucket-3090-1315255798147.jpg]
[Image: photobucket-7668-1315256060736.jpg]

Here's photos of the commercially made ones that I "parted with". Pun intended. Big Grin

[Image: IMG_1374-r.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1373-r.jpg]
Thanks given by: