Automatic when I don't want it
I have a Craftsman 12" lathe that I got sometime in the early 70's. It is ok for most things but since I cleaned it up and replaced the half nuts. Now just a little vibration and the half nuts close and we are off to the races. And it happens when I least expect it which means I often get cuts I don't want. Both half nuts have a hole for the little ball to park in. The last time I took it apart I turned the frame the half nuts are in 180 degrees so the other half nut hole would be lined up with the ball. It seemed like it was fixed for a short time, mainly a few minutes then it took off again. When the old half nuts were in there was no lubricant on the half nuts, mostly crud and corrosion, and they were very stiff and this problem never came up. Does anyone have a similar lathe? Maybe some suggestions? I may just clean out all of the grease and get them stiff again if possible.
Ben Franklin;
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Thanks given by:
My first lathe was an Atlas flatbed, If I remember correctly the apron parts were some kind of pot metal with a strength similar to cold peanut butter. Even so, the little ball and it's spring were enough hold the halfnuts open with no "surprise engagements".
Maybe a stiffer spring ? Didn't each of the half nuts have it`s own ball & spring?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2014, 07:14 AM)stevec Wrote: My first lathe was an Atlas flatbed, If I remember correctly the apron parts were some kind of pot metal with a strength similar to cold peanut butter. Even so, the little ball and it's spring were enough hold the halfnuts open with no "surprise engagements".
Maybe a stiffer spring ? Didn't each of the half nuts have it`s own ball & spring?

I only see one ball and spring. I will dig out the old half nuts and see if maybe the hole for the ball is larger on them. That thought occurred to me late last night. One thing for sure is I cannot keep on like this. Of course it gives me an excuse for the bad workmanship. Blush
Ben Franklin;
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Thanks given by:
OK I found the problem. Actually I guess problems. I had a worn out spring and I had put it together wrong. I made a video of me doing the repair and if your interested see the link/s below.

http://youtu.be/X5CmEeTWnME

http://youtu.be/FgR2SyIbdUE
Ben Franklin;

Thanks given by: