this isn't a how to but more of a how do I
(04-06-2014, 08:25 PM)PixMan Wrote: David,

I'll try and get the CBN insert I have into the mail to you tomorrow, along with a very hard carbide one. Threading tool I recommend for your lay-down holder (I think you have one) would be an Iscar 16ER-AG60 grade IC907, or a Kennametal 16ER-AG60 grade KC5010. Those are both very hard grades suitable for you application. If on the off chance I have one of them in my collection, I'll send it to you.

Ken

Ken
I have some Valenite CNGA 432 T00820 Q6 (not sure what the Q6 means) inserts that I tried on the extra 12 MM rail that I have, I had to take shallow cuts but it turned ok, so I'm ok on inserts to turn the ends down with, I will look for a threading insert with the info that you have provided.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
David,

The Q6 is a discontinued grade of silicon nitride ceramic. While engineered for superalloys such as Inconel, it should be fine for hard turning. The "T00820" means it's got a 20º x .008" wide edge prep to keep it from chipping, though that can increase cutting force and hence, deflection. So take light cuts and keep the setup as rigid as possible (no long hangout of the stock.)
Thanks given by: