Recommendation for mill?
I'm looking to buy a mini mill this year. But, since I've never done any work with one I'm having trouble finding one. I'm looking at spending around $1500. I've looked at Grizzly and Enco, but can't decide on one. I've heard about problems with round column mills, but should I write them off? I'm not ruling out buying a used mill either if I know what to look for.

Bob
Thanks given by:
You'll hear this more than once - get the biggest mill you can afford. I have an X2 mini, which I've converted to CNC. You can do a lot of good work on one, if you take your time and work within its limitations.

I also have a ZX-25 round-column. The main issue with an RC comes when you don't plan ahead far enough. If you get part way through a project and realize that you have to change the height of the head, you may have a hard time picking up your reference point again. It can be done, though, so I wouldn't dismiss them altogether. Given a choice between a round-column and an otherwise equal dovetail, I'd go with the dovetail.

Used can be good value. I got a Victoria U2 horizontal mill with a vertical head and an estimated $10k in tooling for $500. Another $500 to move it and a bit more than that for a new motor and it's still a good deal. It does have some wear and abuse issues, but nothing I can't work around.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
For your budget, I would keep my eye out for an 85XX series Clausing. Smiley-gen163

But you have lots of options so it depends on what types of projects you plan on tackling with the mill.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I have a couple smaller mills, X2 clone that is getting cnc'd, a small horizontal Benchmaster and a Clausing 8520. The Clausing is a fantastic mill for the hobbyist but not really easy to find. The X2 is a good little mill (some better than others) but like Mike says buy the biggest you can afford and fit in your shop. The 8520 does everything I need a mill to do, the other two are just part of my metal illness.

Shawn

If I was to buy the X2 again I would go with the Little Machine Shop version, it seems to be the best bang for the buck from what I can tell.
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2014, 01:14 AM)Shawn Wrote: ...like Mike says buy the biggest you can afford and fit in your shop...

Let me clarify:

Buy the biggest you can afford and modify your shop to fit it in.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2014, 11:38 PM)Mayhem Wrote:
(04-04-2014, 01:14 AM)Shawn Wrote: ...like Mike says buy the biggest you can afford and fit in your shop...

Let me clarify:

Buy the biggest you can afford and modify your shop to fit it in.

That's exactly what I did! The shop may need to be a bit bigger though. Blush

[Image: WIM010.JPG]

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Thanks Mayhem, thats what I meant to say Blush I should know better with this crowd.

Shawn
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Ron,

On the OSB... for low maintenance, look at adding some sheet metal roofing from home depot. 2' wide sections, with a 4" overlap.

Nice part.... just use a bunch of super magnets to hold plans up for viewing, or to hold a small baggy with the replacement part for next weeks maintenance job, etc.

Random photo to give you an idea.

Tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Tom,

I really like the looks of that. I'm not sure if I have the energy to implement it though (lots of shelving, wiring and conduit I would have to move now). I was kind of thinking of using some kind of welding curtains all around the mill to help contain the chips and protect the surroundings. I get chips EVERYWHERE! Blush Big Grin

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2014, 07:59 PM)ScrapMetal Wrote: Tom,

I really like the looks of that. I'm not sure if I have the energy to implement it though (lots of shelving, wiring and conduit I would have to move now). I was kind of thinking of using some kind of welding curtains all around the mill to help contain the chips and protect the surroundings. I get chips EVERYWHERE! Blush Big Grin

-Ron

I have pipe that makes a big U around the milling machine. There is a florescent light hanging from it on the front. I keep meaning to buy shower curtains to hang on the sides.

Last week I was fly cutting cast iron. I was putting my 1" plexiglass "safety screen" to good use.

Tom
roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by: