Recommendation for mill?
I've a round column. It's more of a drill press that does some milling. The turret-like head adds capacity that sometimes comes in handy, like cutting keyways on both ends of a long shaft. Work off the side of the table for tall parts. It also swings out of the way when you want to debur something still in the vice.

It's often a pain in the neck, but handy nonetheless. Here's a picture cutting a 3/4" slot in an inch thick steel counterweight for an old clocktower. I did this for a guy with a mini-mill, too much for him, he said. Dunno.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
How close are you to Seattle? There should be a decent market for used BP's and clones from the aircraft and shipping industries.
Thanks given by:
I agree that you really should take your time and find a used Bridgeport or similar (Alliant, Kent, Acer, Kondia, Wells-Index, Supermax, etc.) in your area. There should be some. Granted I have a LOT of friends with shops out here and got a super deal on my Alliant for exactly that price, so if you keep your eyes open you might do nearly as well. Hell, save more money while looking and waiting for the right deal to come along so you buy the right one the first time around.

Here's my $1500 Alliant, as received:
[Image: DSC_0406-r_zpsfd049678.jpg]
Thanks given by: