I bought a vise
Machines, their tooling and accessories are not cheap in this part of the world and I've been contemplating the purchase of a machine vise ever since I purchased my mill.

I could get Kurt or Glacern out of the US but the shipping is a killer. The weight makes it impractical to try and shove in my suitcase as well. Locally, my best bet was a Vertex 6" Anglock vise and the machine shop had a sale recently. So for $266.00 I bit the bullet and bought one.

I haven't cleaned off the shipping goo yet, as my mill isn't quite back together, so after snapping a couple of pics, it went back into its plastic bag and got sealed up. It is a lot beefier and heavier than I expected (42kg [92.4Lb]). I'm very happy with the finish of the vise - less so with the cast handle, in which the hex is cast off centre. No problem, I can make my own. Like most people, I'll remove the swivel base and mount it directly to the table.

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
That looks like a decent vise. It's a 6" (or metric equivalent) I assume by the weight. The cost wasn't bad at all. About half the cost of a Kurt. I've heard Vertex makes decent stuff.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Yep - 6" or 155mm as listed by Vertex

(04-18-2014, 07:21 AM)Mayhem Wrote: ...Locally, my best bet was a Vertex 6" Anglock vise and the machine shop had a sale recently. So for $266.00 I bit the bullet and bought one...
Thanks given by:
Darren, nice vise. Thumbsup I'm a bit curious about the sheet metal cover for the area behind the movable jaw, doesn't it interfere with the handle when opening the vise greater than shown in your pic?

Also, when you're making a new handle think of this one I made for my vise.

Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(04-19-2014, 06:47 AM)stevec Wrote: ... I'm a bit curious about the sheet metal cover for the area behind the movable jaw, doesn't it interfere with the handle when opening the vise greater than shown in your pic?

That looks like some sort of sheet plastic or plastic coated cloth to me. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Spot on Ed. It is similar to the stuff found on mills.
Thanks given by: EdK , stevec