Lathe Cross Slide Problem
You're very welcome Ed, my pleasure.

You can see that none of the saws I have were big enough to cut to the 1.300" depth on your print for the nut so I just used my bandsaw to get the last .350 or so. Doesn't meet my standards for workmanship but functionally, no difference.
Thanks given by:
(05-17-2014, 06:27 PM)PixMan Wrote: You're very welcome Ed, my pleasure.

You can see that none of the saws I have were big enough to cut to the 1.300" depth on your print for the nut so I just used my bandsaw to get the last .350 or so. Doesn't meet my standards for workmanship but functionally, no difference.

I much prefer functionality over looks when it comes to tools.

Ed
Thanks given by: PixMan
The workmanship looks fine to me Ken and like Ed, it is the functionality that matters. At the end of the day it is not going to be seen but its action will be felt every time Ed cranks the handle for many year to come.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: PixMan
Thanks Darren. I'll be starting on your part for the quill feed on your Kondia this coming week. That part is MUCH more technically difficult and will take at least 3 different setups, a great many tools and lots of planning for steps to take. I know I'm going to have to buy a slotting saw and arbor for that part though because the slot itself is a functional feature that shows, right in front of your face every time you stand in front of the machine. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I'll have to look at the drawing again, as I can't recall it needing a slit in it. That is one part that I would enjoy watching you make.
Thanks given by:
There's a slot for the clutch lever. Check the print. It's where your original is broken.
Thanks given by:
I figured you would use an endmill, as the slot is not full width. Perhaps I'm not reading the drawing correctly. I trust your judgement and experience though. This is why I'd like to be there!
Thanks given by:
You're right. I hadn't looked at the drawing close enough. No slotting cutter needed, just a really long 6mm end mill.
Thanks given by:
Don't let me stop you from adding one to your collection though Big Grin

Sorry for hijacking your thread Ed...
Thanks given by:
(05-19-2014, 05:51 AM)Mayhem Wrote: ...
Sorry for hijacking your thread Ed...

No problem. You're talking about metalworking so it fits.

Ed
Thanks given by: